Advantage to split Mac and PC specific sections

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Gnatinator, May 12, 2005.

1. Gnatinator

Original Member

Hey guys

I want your experienced opinions on this. What are the advantages/disadvantages to having a site that splits into either a mac or pc version?

examples:
    Phelios
    Winter Wolves

What are the reasons for doing this?

thanks

2. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

I get a number of people that download the wrong version (ie, click on Mac download for PC and -- although more rarely - on PC download for Mac).

Without splitting my site, I'll add least check the requesting machine type when downloading.

I guess that by splitting the entire site you can optimize for search queries seperately too.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

3. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I can think about two reasons, maybe there's more:
    - To avoid mac users downloading pc versions by mistake and viceversa.
    - If the site has some games only to one platform (mac or pc) chances are users from the other platform don't want to be told about them.

If the case is #2 I think there can be problems some times, like:
    - Joe has both a Mac and a PC but he's now surfing from the PC
    - He goes to www.phelios.com and he's then automatically redirected to the PC site that does not show Bud Redhead, a game that he would love and buy, even if it's only for Mac. He likes it so much he'd boot his Mac just to play it. But instead he doesn't ever know about it. Sale lost.

I know there's a "Mac Games" link from the PC version and viceversa, but I don't think many people notice it.

I guess that's not a frequent situation, but possible :)

4. Emmanuel

Then again Phelios don't make any money on selling Bud Redhead for PC :)

Emmanuel

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

If you own a mac, and browse my site www.winterwolves.com you should be automatically redirected to the Mac Games section.
    If you have a pc instead, you should see the Pc only page.
    I kept a page with Both Pc and Mac, that loads ONLY if the javascript can't find exactly which browser you're using, just to be sure that neither PC nor Mac users miss the games :)

6. Red Marble Games

Original Member

The point about downloading the wrong version is accurate. Even though I sell ONLY Mac games from my site, and even though I have a Mac logo at the top of every page, and even though my Web store says "Great Macintosh games" at the top, I STILL get Windows people who buy my games.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wow they BUY without even trying a demo?! really weird!
    In my case since I have both pc and mac version for 90% of my games even if they buy the wrong OS isn't a problem... :)

8. arcadetown

Some games here are dual pc/mac. We detect mac users and show mac category and from categories only list mac games to make easier for mac users. When users download or buy we auto-detect mac users and give em mac version. Tried giving option for pc or mac version but a core set of bonehead users end up chosing the wrong product causing support nightmare.

9. stan

Original Member Indie Author

I've opted for giving the choice to visitors on the download page, but if the site can detect from their user_agent which OS they are using, it shows the corresponding link on top and in bold.

I haven't had any problem with this so far, but it's only been one week since the Mac version of Smart Lines has been available. :)