Accessing the Windows registry from a web app

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ManuelFLara, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

I'm looking for a way to do just that, access the client's Windows registry from an app loaded from a web browser. Is there any way? Which options do I have?

A java applet? ActiveX? Something else?

Thanks,

2. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

None of the plugins on the market are going to let you anywhere near the registry - at least they should not do. If you need this functionality I suggest you write a bespoke plugin and lock it down so that it can't be used for malicious behaviour.

3. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

@Indiepath: Thanks for the answer. So with a custom ActiveX control I would be able to do just that? Do you have any links or resources on how to convert a C++ app into an ActiveX control so it can be executed from a browser?

4. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

There are some good examples on MSDN, look for ATL ActiveX controls.

5. Paul-Jan

Original Member

Note how end-users are not too eager to install just any new ActiveX components (browsers silently blocking them, etc) unless they are generic and come from a source they trust. Do you really need this to run in a browser, or will a stand-alone client application do?

6. ChrisP

Indie Author

And do you really need to access the registry? From a web game? What on earth are you trying to accomplish here?

7. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

ChrisP: it's more a tool than a game actually.

And sure, a standale app is the second option, i just prefer to make it easier for the user to run the app.

#7 ManuelFLara, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  8. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Does any of you (Indiepath?) know how to redirect the user to another URL from the ActiveX control itself? I can't find how to do that anywhere...

9. wazoo

Original Member

I so never want to hit your site.

10. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

I agree, that does sound rather shady.

11. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

When the app is up and running I'll post the URL so you know what kind of thing I'm building. It's not as terrible as it looks, I promise!

What I ask in my last question isn't really that bad. Think of a user clicking on a "Buy full version" from inside an ActiveX (web) version of your game that works as a demo. You'll have to redirect the user to the order page, right?

12. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

13. EFWStaff

EFWStaff New Member

@ManuelFLara:

No no no!

No user with a clue will realistically want a web application to reach into the Registry. And nobody here with any sense should be helping you figure out how to break your applet out of the browser's sandbox.

If you want to touch the system, write a standalone application and make it conform to OS security metrics. What you ask smacks of malware, no matter how benevolent your intentions may be.

As for kicking the visitor to a specific page, just about all of the web-friendly languages and active-content systems have some means to do this. You should be able to turn up how to do it in a browser applet with a well-formed Google search.

14. Acord

Acord New Member

Just based on your description, I would never use your software. These sort of invasive shenanigans are totally unnecessary. Whatever you're doing, please reconsider.

15. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

OK, everyone chill out.

The whole purpose of the app I'm building is to scan your computer and do something with that data. And of course our intention is to keep users privacy all the time encrypting the information sent, sending it throught safe channels and of course deleting it after the processing has been done.

Also, as I said, I'm doing this for my day job, for a kind of "app contest" the company has set up, so it may not ever show up online. Consider too that it's a very well known and respected company in the Internet, so if they do launch this service, more users might use it than if some startup or unknown site launched it. Who made it is very important when you're asked to install *something* on your computer, specially something coming from a web site.

As of those of you who still don't see the point here: think of a web based antivirus. It would have to scan your computer. Yes, from a web site. And it may even be a better option for those who don't want to have it installed on their computer for some reason. Is it malware or is there any security problem here? Well, I don't see why doing this properly is less secure than downloading something and running it on your computer. I actually think the opposite. People download and run programs from not very secure places or p2p networks all the time, and any of them could just be a "screw up this system" program. Really, I don't see anything wrong with this. But I guess you'll have to wait and see for yourself before most of you see the whole picture. And of course, even then there would be people who still see it wrong, but those would be privacy and security purists, and clearly this app isn't targeting this kind of audience :)