AAA Art/Animation at Indy Rates

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by QuietMan, Dec 3, 2005.

1. QuietMan

Original Member

Thanks Joe...your post was a great explanation!

Concept Art.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QuietMan

Original Member

More Concepts..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The trouble is you want to have a rough idea if you're even in the same ball park before you spend the time firing off emails. It's no good emailing an artist who's minimum rate is £100 an hour if you only have £50 to spend on your entire budget.

The heading of the thread is AAA Art/Animation at Indy Rates. It doesn't seem unreasonable to know what the "Indy Rates" are really.

Besides all that it's good to know roughly what I'd expect to pay. Say I wanted a car modelled and textured and I know one was done in 1000 polys with a 256x256 single texture in 3 days and cost £200.

If I wanted another car done to the same spec I'd expect to pay the same, I wouldn't expect to pay more because my website was nicer looking than somebody elses and therefore I could possibly afford to pay more.

I'd rather know quotes are based off how much time it will take and at a standard rate.

4. terin

Original Member

Hmm

I didn't mean for my post to be taken as negative, I just wanted to explain the logic behind a good art studio taking on indie projects.

Yes, your product could get a lower priority, but that is the PRICE of lower cost :)

I don't know how what I posted became a negative statement... it was neutral.

The only reason I am against it is because I think there isn't really a market for it, sad to say. The indies on this board, most of the time, don't have the budget for AAA art, even at the lowest possible price.

Still, best of luck to the artists on this board- There are a few good fish in this sea... but my reccomendation to my client is it is too much work to catch them for the little gain they represent. (No offense to the developers! Nothing wrong with having a 1,000 dollar art budget unless you are trying to make a living doing art!)

-Joe

5. Davaris

Original Member

I've found the fastest and best way to get an artist is by posting exactly what you want on a message board and then ask for quotes on the job. All you have to do is wait a week and tons of artists will come to you. Some are hella expensive and some are dirt-cheap.

The other way to find an artist is through recommendations from other developers.