A Toronto Indie Con Tomorow? ... Apparently

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by PoV, Aug 31, 2006.

1. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yeah... according to gamedev.net, there's something strange happening in Toronto thursday the 31st (tomorrow? today?).

http://www.torontoigc.com/

Somehow I'm less than impressed with their PR. Tell me, is there some "other" community of indieness out there? All us bitter peoples with a hatred for the industry seem to be here. ;)

The event's don't look all that exciting either, ... but I don't have an IGC for this years schedule to compare it against.

2. LilGames

LilGames New Member

Geez. I live 45 minutes west of TO and didn't even know about this.
    But then I don't see the purpose. Toronto is quite deficient when it comes to game publishers.

3. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

Mmm, 75 bucks plus parking. Add the fuel charges and hotel, it would cost me about $650 to attend. Plus the actual driving to get there and back, I'll pass.

4. KNau

Original Member

Ah, game development conferences. If you like watching paint dry then you'll love our lectures!

I knew about it, but spending my labour day weekend at a conference?! Not a chance! Besides, the FuturePlay conference (http://www.futureplay.org/) will be coming to London, Ont. in October.

5. KNau

Original Member

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Well I'm glad to see *something* happening in town, but wow... $350-$400!

7. TamLin

Original Member

I attended and enjoyed the conference. There were only about 30 attendees, but they (and the presentations) covered a wide spectrum. The organizers did a great job of collecting giveways for the raffle; most people at the pub that night won something (the Torque license I won is worth more than the conference fee). Erin Hoffman, the famous "EA Spouse", participated in the quality of life discussion (though I didn't realize who she was until I googled her name afterwards).

All in all, I was impressed by what a couple of university students had accomplished. I will definitely attend the next TIGC if I'm able.