A program to montior running tasks.....

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Sunshine, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Sunshine

Original Member

Recently my computer has been crashing and just acting up in general. I can't feel that I have been the victim of an attack of some sort and another program is runnning in the background that I cannot see.

Is there a program that i can use to see all running tasks/programs etc?
    In the Task Monitor [when i press ctl-alt-del] it only shows the regular 3 tasks, but I feel that there is more.
    :confused:

2. Scorpio

Indie Author

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc (which is just a shortcut to bring up the task manager directly) and then click on the "Processes" tab.
    -Scorpio

3. oNyx

Original Member

You can try "hijackthis", which is originally ment for finding trojans. You can then use google for checking each entry.

4. Pyabo

Original Member

What operating system are you using? That's useful info...

Then go to Download.com and search the utilities section. There are several programs that do what you're looking for.

Finally, run RegEdit and look at HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run to see what is starting up when you reboot. Trojans almost always appear here and can be easily removed by removing their registry entry.

5. Sunshine

Original Member

I'm running windows98, I checked in the autoexec,configsys, and registry, and they were all clean.

Also it locked up for a second, and I decided to kill the printdriver by saying end task. And when the left over junk in the printer memory printed out, at the end it showed straight text of a dos screen. It showed "cd /windows/system" then "dir" then "erase *.*" and shows command.com responses after each one like those commands were executed.

After the directory command it showed a few files, but they were not the files in my system directory, however the serial number for the c: drive was correct.

At the end [thankfully,I think] it said "Permission denied" as the respose to the erase command.

Should I be worried about that? I can't really think of ANY reason it would print that page.

oh, ps then at the end after all that, back at the dos prompt it typed "diattriv" as the very last entry, but showed no response to that command. :confused: :confused: :confused: