A Game That Sells

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by ProgrammingFreak, Apr 6, 2007.

1. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what kinda of game sells. I know most any type of game will sell. But what is the most popular, the easiest to make that sells.

2. soniCron

Indie Author

Definitely mmo first-person shooters with micro-transactions. They're the future!

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Do your homework, there'll be a quiz later.

4. bignobody

Indie Author

If you do find out what it is, make sure to tell us. :)

5. DanMarshall

Original Member

Gibbage, obviously.

6. TeeGee

TeeGee New Member

Mostly the good ones.

7. Nexic

Indie Author

Honestly if you want quick money with little work you should get into another industry fast.

The path of least resistance is probably making a Jewel Quest or MCF clone. But in most cases these games do nothing for long term survival, they don't age well. Why buy a 3 year old game when it's already been redone 50 times with better graphics?

My advice to your is not to even look for the quick fix. Expect to spend at least 2 years making zero cash before becomming successful.

8. TunaBreeze

TunaBreeze New Member

If you want to be a successful developer you need to not only have a good game behind you but a good business strategy. One thing you should focus on is making an engine that is highly flexible so that you can not only use it for your game but expand upon it for expansions, sequals, and other games entirely. Also focus on making a franchise. There's far more money in games that have sequals and expansion packs than there are single titles. The reason being is that your development time is shorter (on expansions and sequals) and you are selling to people who have already bought your game, and those loyal to your franchise are more likely to recommend a series that has been around for a while than a single title.

9. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Thanks for the help, I'll do that.

10. ragdollsoft

Original Member

You need to have an idea.

If you have a great idea, you might make a great game. Without one, its hard.

11. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

I have tons of ideas, its just hard because I'm not good with the graphics

12. Uesugi

Uesugi New Member

Lots of us are no good with graphics. Use placeholder graphics (colored circles, squares, triangles, etc.) and then swap in better ones later. (You can pay someone if you have to, or buy an artpack like those that ArtGirl makes.)

Your first games should be simple, so you get an idea of how everything fits together. You can easily swap in better graphics for something like a Pong clone later.

13. Escapee

Original Member

MCF type of game as evident in bigfish top 3 games, but i guess it's going to get overcrowded ( like match 3 games) very soon and bore the hell out of casual gamers with the same gameplay. Others that i would recommend are casual sim and RPG (eg : Aveyond) .

Agree with others about the importance of game art in casual game market.

The above is just my personal opinion

14. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

I get it, use simple graphics to test for collision detection and such and then improve them with better graphics

15. TunaBreeze

TunaBreeze New Member

I'm also using place holder graphics. I purchased a pack of 25 models for about $30, definitely makes the development experience more interesting than using basic shapes.

16. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Match-3 puzzle games with colorful graphics. However, don't expect much prestige if you make games like those; they're the Thomas Kinkade of games.

17. TeeGee

TeeGee New Member

I wouldn't say that match-3 are easiest to make now. Sure they are simple and fun, but market is so overcrowded with them (and most of them are of top-notch quality), that you would have to make your game really good to break through.

18. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

True, but I think that even a mediocre match-3 game would sell better than an excellent original game. I've seen some really great games on Manifesto Games that only sold like 10 copies.

19. Escapee

Original Member

I think a mediocre match 3 game would most likely sell ~ 0 copy now .. (no kidding)

20. KNau

Original Member

This is where the "business 101" thinking needs to come into play. If you can't do great graphics then don't compete in a graphics heavy genre. If programming is your thing then make a game that's process-complex, not render-complex. There's always vector graphics, if the gameplay is fun then the graphics don't matter so much. People are willing to play as a glowing triangle if the game is really fun, if it's not fun then you'd better hook up with an artist to pre-render some fancy 3D sprites.