A fresh new start

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Rip Koko, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Rip Koko

Rip Koko New Member

I may or may not have posted the exact same text on reddit.com/gamedev

I am about to start my new game developement journey and I need advice and tips on where to start learning specific things. I'm also doing this with a friend. We decided that we are going to learn in parallel.

1 - Programming I was always sceptical of coding. Until I decided to try it. It was a bit difficult from the beggining.Good news, the basics I learned (starting off in C++) made me realise that I actually like programming. Bad news, I gave up a lot and returned to it again so many times that I lost track. So basically I need tutorials and communities to help me start learning C++ from scratch.

2 - Pixel Art and 3D Modeling This category falls down to my friend. But unfortunately, it happened all the same as it happened to me with programming. We descovered Pixel Prospector, but other basic tutorials for pixel art would be great. When we decide to start developing 3D games, he'll be using blender. Any extra tips would be great.

3 - Level Design We know jack s*it about level design. This is what we'll focus on learning together. We don't know of any website, forum or anything really concerning level design. Tell us what you know.

4 - Game Engines The first engine we want to use is Game Maker: Studio. Because Game Maker has a free liscence only for Windows exports, we'll have to move to another engine afterwards. Specifically for Android development. That being said, is it even worth using Game Maker or should we go straight to a free liscenced multi-platform engine? Keep in mind, our final goal is Unity.

5 - Audio and Music This will most likely be my part. I'm trying out LMMS and, to my knowledge, it's more for oldschool music which is fine for now. If you know of any other (more proffesional), FREE music development software I would be very greatful.

That's all for now. If you have any other extra tips and tricks or things you wish you knew, please be free to tell them. Thank you so much in advance! You guys are awesome! :)

2. Rocket35

Rocket35 New Member

1. I don't know C/C#/C++ so I can't help you with programming.
    2. For pixel art I recommend using Pyxel Edit or Aseprite. I came across a pixel art program on itch.io but I haven't downloaded it yet.
    3. I don't know level design either.
    4. I use Game Maker Studio 2 It is good for starting out but I haven't thought of moving on.
    5. I don't know any other free music development software but you can try FL Studio for free.

You should consider streaming your game development on twitch.
    gamejolt.com and itch.io is a good place to start

#2 Rocket35, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

3 - For level design theory, you can search for articles on Gamasutra.com or the youtube channel for GDC.

4 - If you want to work with Unity, then why bother with GameMaker to start with? That being said, GameMaker is great. I work with it (1.4) and I love it. It does need a minimum investment, yes. You can't have all the good stuff for free! If you wait, you may get a good deal at some point. They even did a Humble Bundle with the whole GMS 1.4 Pro + export modules not too long ago before the launch of GMS 2.

4. weeklycoder

weeklycoder New Member

1- Programming, you should probably try to learn a higher level language. Especially with the variety of game engines out there. I believe Unreal for example uses C++ but its mostly just the syntax of the language. Unity uses C# and has support to compile your code for multiple platforms.

2- Blender for 3D modeling is a decent choice. for Pixel art I use Pixen which is a Mac application. Other software to use for that could be Photoshop or Gimp

3- Level design is an art that takes just as much logic as programming and as much creativity as drawing. The best tip I have for you there is play lots of games, pay close attention to the difficulty curves as you advance through levels. Pay attention to every detail. Some games do an extremely amazing job at subtly guiding you through the game.

4- Unity has my vote if you are looking for something that is easy to work with and has a strong community with lots of support. If you're first starting out with Game Dev then this is probably the easiest route to take.

5- For music, I usually just try to find someone to do it for me.

Just a side note, something that I've learned throughout the years of doing this.
    Decide what you want to be; programmer, designer, artist, musician.. I can tell you that trying to do all of these things at once will drain you and you will most likely give up at some point because you start to feel overwhelmed with the amount of work you have to put into it.

Throughout my journey, I've learned that I am a programmer. I absolutely dislike doing anything art or music related. I am however also slightly interested in design, mainly story boarding, but will always be a programmer at heart. It just comes natural to me and its fun.

Hope this helps out.

5. NosyTapir

NosyTapir New Member

1. For programming, I would suggest Unity 3D
    2. For 3D graphics, I would use Blender
    3. For learning, I would use YouTube :)