a difficult XNA question

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jack Norton, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Not sure if anyone knows how to do this (or even IF is possible) but in practice: I have PNG images which I have converted to two JPGs, alpha and color, to save space (I save over 50% on disk space with it).
    Simple question: there's any way to load them as a Texture2D to use them in XNA?

2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Your best best is to look at custom content importers for that. A neat use for it with your system would be to add the PNG to your workspace and specify your own importer (it can have custom attributes for JPG compression quality per asset etc).

Your importer would take the PNG and split off the JPG's and write them out as a binary file (or two). On load you'd pull in the binary files, create a texture2d and write the data to the texture manually.

I'm not sure if it would be worthwhile in the end though. You can set texture compression on any PNG's you add I believe and also the packager will also compress things.

3. ChrisP

Indie Author

It may be worth it for photorealistic art, since that's where JPEG's lossy compression really shines. Even the best lossless compression has a really hard time matching the savings you can get from smart use of lossy compression. Just depends on the context as to which is the better choice.

Not an answer to your question, but are you sure you want JPEG artefacts in your transparency? :) Using a PNG for the alpha channel sounds like a better idea, especially since most alpha channels in practical use (e.g. for sprites) are more or less composed of large continuous "white"/"black" areas, which is a situation that PNG is designed to work well for.

4. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

His problem with PNG, I think, is that you either get 8bit/1bit alpha or 24bit/8bit alpha. So you choose between a hard edge alpha or an unnecessarily huge image. =(

There's no standard image format with a happy middle ground, like 8bit/4bit, etc.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but would DXT3/DXT5 work with XNA for what you need?

5. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

so.. 24bit jpeg color, 8bit png alpha?

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ehm, well I asked because I used that system in Renpy, but was a ready-made script. I know really little about DX and D3D in particular, so was just asking if there was a quick system/command that I ignore.
    Otherwise will just use PNGs, the game size should still be low compared to some XNA demos of 500Gb :eek:

7. jamesm

jamesm New Member

Do you mean 500mb ;)

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yeah, I mean 500mb LOL