8 Bit funding - crowdsourcing for games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Scurvy Lobster, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

8 Bit funding - crowd funding for games

I just stumbled upon this new site called 8 Bit funding.

The site works like Kickstarter.com but is focused solely on games. Could be worth trying for some of you guys?

Since I don't have anything in development at the moment I decided to support some of the game projects. There aren't many projects or funders yet but this could be a really nice way of getting your development funded in the future. If we all spread the word then it might just work.

Note: I searched the forums and couldn't find any mention of this site so I hope I'm not creating the 10th thread on this :)

edit: I wrote 'crowdsourcing' in the title. It should be crowd funding naturally.

#1 Scurvy Lobster, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. joe

joe
    Original Member

Yeah, i was very excited about this at first and uploaded a project of mine as soon as i had heard about it.

But now i think, it requires a lot of work of the webmaster to make it work.

First of all, if you compare it to kickstarter it has much less features. The only advantage is that you can use it outside the US.

Second, it doesn't generate enough buzz to make it work, and it would be very hard to do so.

If they don't have tons of traffic, why would you use it? You can also put a donate button on your own website. It's easy and this way you have to pay nothing to a third party.

3. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

There are actually a ton of posts about this very topic on the tigsource forums.

It's getting mixed reactions - some people think that people are just trying to abuse people's good intentions, I guess.

I think it's a good deal for people who live in countries where Kickstarter is unavailable. If Kickstarter is available, I don't know why you'd choose this program over Kickstarter...

If they don't have tons of traffic, why would you use it? You can also put a donate button on your own website. It's easy and this way you have to pay nothing to a third party.
    It's kind of hard getting people to donate money for your projects. With something like this, it kind of points out that developing games isn't cheap and that funds are appreciated.

In addition, I think that these types of things can help fund you BEFORE you really begin a project where as donations require a bit of work up front...

4. andrew

andrew New Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what this brings to the table that Kickstarter doesn't already offer? Games do indeed work on Kickstarter, there are many with $10K+ in funding: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/games/successful?ref=more

I think the key is that you have to be able to drive your own traffic to a funding site, first. If you have 100 people that want to invest in your game, it doesn't really matter what site they do it on. Only advantage of Kickstarter is that it brings enough eyeballs to multiply your existing funders, if you're lucky enough to score a frontpage mention or get featured somehow.

I like the general ethos of 8 Bit Funding, it just needs a better marketing plan -- otherwise it's simply a middleman that doesn't provide much of a service beyond being a payment processor.

- andrew

5. Scurvy Lobster

They are only one week old. They might have few users right now but this can only improve.

6. Scurvy Lobster

I looked through your link and there are really not that many fully funded computer games on Kickstarter; only 20 or so. Most on that list is actually textbook RPGs, printed art, card+board games, interactive fiction etc.

Combine that with Kickstarter being unavailable for people outside the US (which is most of us) then 8-Bit funding does have a relevance in the crowd funding space. Time will tell if it's a succes.

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Anyone trying to fund a "wage" (4 and 5 figure sums) is doing it wrong. Not enough people are seeking funding for semi-free projects, which is where the generosity of a few hundred dollars will matter more. Also, too many stupid incentives that burn away the entire contribution.

8. Olofson

Original Member

Although this seems interesting, I'm wondering why I should (or shouldn't) consider this as an alternative to the "Minecraft approach" I have in mind for Kobo II.

If my own site has enough traffic, why shouldn't I just offer a full version pre-purchase with alpha/beta access? And if I can't generate the traffic, you're saying a crowdfunding site won't be of much help - and I'd have to wait for the funding to reach some level of success etc before I get anything at all, so what's the point...?

9. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Correct. Kickstarter and 8bit funding should be considered marketing tools more than a particular solution. If nobody is talking about them, then do they even matter?

10. ZDeveloper

ZDeveloper New Member

8 Bit funding is a good idea especially for developers outside the USA, but I don't know if it works. At the moment I have not enough time, but in two weeks I will check the site and the projects, if the fundings of the projects make progress.

11. Scurvy Lobster

Game players still have to learn about this way of "being around" the games they love. Services like these need good stories to sell to a wider audience.

I am sure that a lot of gamers are willing to throw loads of money on a game they would really like to see. I have heard stories about some gamers spending more than a thousand dollars on item purchases in MMO's so why shouldn't the right game not be able to grab similar amounts if the right person saw it? Heck, one game on 8-Bit funding already has a 1000$ contribution from a donator and three times 500$ from others.

edit: not 2 but 3 contributions of 500$

#11 Scurvy Lobster, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  12. Ido

Ido New Member

Hi!

That would be my game, Cardinal Quest.

Although I am happy with the relative success of CQ on 8bitfunding (currently almost halfway with $2936 out of $6000), I did expect the site as a whole to do better - it seems it didn't really get quite the amount of media buzz I was hoping for.

13. Xiotex

Original Member

I decided to add a game on there but a glitch in their code meant the project was orphaned and I could no longer edit it. They fixed the bug but that meant my project was wiped as they could not recover it. I haven't re-added it.

I like the concept but they don't appear to have nearly enough traffic to make any of the projects a success. Maybe with time that will pick up.

14. SCi_00

SCi_00 New Member

I tried posting a project, although after posting i can't seem to find it on the "newest/recent" list. (you can try to see if the project link works: http://www.8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=129)

Is there some kind of approval process first?

But anyway, the idea of having a crowfunding site dedicated to indie game developers is cool, specially right now that it's not overcrowded with generic projects. Right now there's only four to five unfunded out of 20+ projects.

15. speeder

speeder New Member

To me, it sucked.

I hoped to be one of the "launch" games, thus get lots of attention from start.

But the site is hell buggy, HELL BUGGY and even exchanging e-mails constantly with the owner, the game was not there on launch (not my fault).

This already made me upset.

Then it is the fact, that the total donations are 5 USD.

¬¬

16. Scurvy Lobster

speeder: I just checked out your game on 8-Bit funding and it looks quite good. The perks need adjustment in my mind however.

"Pre-order of the first expansion" doesn't sound very exciting to me. It sounds like throwing money after something waaay down the line.
    Some of the succes stories on 8-Bit have straightforward perks like:
    - 5$ and you get a copy of game and a warm thanks.
    - 10$ above + name in game credits (which I belive attracts some attention)

Could be worth a try. At least I hope you succeed since the game looks quite unique on some parts. Maybe a smaller version could be released?

edit: the first game on 8-Bit is now fully funded. My claim still stands that great opportunity lies here.

#16 Scurvy Lobster, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  17. speeder

speeder New Member

The game itself is free, I cannot offer preorder of the game :p

18. NicolasGB

NicolasGB New Member