3DRad is now free

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by GhostRik, Aug 9, 2009.

1. GhostRik

Original Member

3DRad is now free for commercial or noncommercial use.

This is the new 3Impact-derived version, not the old 3.0/5.1 version. I only used it a little when the switchover happened (I've been doing more video and music lately) but they're still claiming "no coding!" so it might be worth a look for some.

http://www.3drad.com

Rik

2. electronicStar

Original Member

I seem to remember rumours of spyware back in the time (or maybe I'm confusing with sompething else?)

3. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Interesting, but why is it free? I checked the website, but I have not found anything concerning their decision to release it for free. High development cost and free are usually not compatible. Will this product continue to be updated?

4. GhostRik

Original Member

The forum posts indicate that the developer is hoping that making it free increases the number of users. He's seen sales drop with the economic slow-down and wants to try other revenue streams.

One idea (new?) is to have users vote for features with donations and the first feature to get funded gets developed first. It's being implemented in the following forum:

http://www.3drad.com/forum/index.php?wwwRedirect;board=6

One of them has already reached its funding goal. 3DRad always seemed to have a core, rabid fan base so there might be a business model in there somewhere.

Rik

#4 GhostRik, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009