3D RTS - Shallow-space

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by fieldrequired, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Looking good mate!

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Yeah, I've said it before, but this looks amazing! Keep up the good work.

3. dqhendricks

dqhendricks New Member

Looks pretty cool! Is there a way to speed up time (at least for single player)?

4. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Cheers guys :) yep you can speed up (and slow down) time in 25% increments - i'll remember to show that off in the next vid.

You would have to ve able to really, our it would be pretty boring inbetween battles! :)

#84 fieldrequired, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  5. CDR-RAGE

CDR-RAGE New Member

hey i am a new member and RTS lover... my opinion-you are defiantly flogging a dead horse but there's nothing wrong with that just as long as you do it right!!
    love they unique way you move around usually its top view so its a nice change :)

6. CDR-RAGE

CDR-RAGE New Member

wow look great! really love rts games

7. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Thanks dude! :) appreciate it

- - - Updated - - -

So a little more work on the mechanics over the last few weeks with more improvements made to the turrets, each ship is brimming with turrets whose individual properties, mixed with those of the beam or projectile, release each pulse of energy loving towards the enemy with no pre-determined maths and now things are moving on I've been looking at the targeting habits of the turrets and giving the player a bit more control over them.

[​IMG]

On the prettiness side, Alex has come through yet again with a new shield effect and as I really work the dirty lens glow into the game i've had a few ideas on using it to create depth-adding effects yet keeping things light on performance. You can see more shots of the shield in the latest blog Gallery.

[​IMG]

I also ripped out the UI, although it looked good it was actually pretty restrictive at what I could do with it and quite confusing to play. Text didn't really work for me either on a transparent background and I had a feeling we would encounter issues with localisation. Plus I have ideas about the new basic symbols system and think I can infuse it into the general play making it easier to know whats going on when it all kicks off. More on that in the blog post UI Simplified.

In the latest video you'll see that the player ships are starting to come together to move and fight in formation. I'm stil scratching the suface of this mechanic which will deeply simplify battles with multiple ships and I start to look more at the 'Pack' idea from my orginal notes. But what is a 'Pack' and how will it help you? Find out in the blog post Formations.

And one last thing, do you have twitter? Then you might as well follow me, that way you'll get the news directly.

#87 fieldrequired, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  8. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Having had a bit of a two week tidy-up of the code and some pretty successful optimisation, I started working on spawning ships from jumppoints and stations and working on the placeholder shield and hull damage and ship destruction effects. We can expect plenty more fine details in the end, Alex wants to see hull fires and supporting explosions and has already demo'd some stuff to me as he works on an effects palette, I look forward to chucking it into the pot. In the meantime the basics of the sector prototype are well under-way which you can see in the latest vid and we get closer to something playable.

We really start to get it together as a team as responsibilities are dished out and I start getting realistic expectations of the cost of taking this project to the next level. We also have a 3D modeller join the team and someone else to help assist with the administrative burden of project management and the upcoming Kickstarter, more on that over on the latest IndieDB article which fired us into the Top 100, more cool GIFs and stuff to view too in, Infectious Vibes.

[​IMG]

Over on the blog I start to elude to the bigger picture where I talk about the latest additions to the prototype and start musing about the wider mechanics in play and hinting at a grand campaign, read up more in Incoming Singularity and 'The Gift' is also brought to a dramatic conclusions and is wrapped into a handy downloadable PDF available over on the blog post The Gift VI.

Remember you can always subscribe to the YouTube channel to get the latest videos first.

Cheers from the team!

James

#88 fieldrequired, Sep 13, 2014
  9. Nutter2000

Cool, looking good James

I like the new jump points

10. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

So the blogs been quiet and there hasn’t been a post on IndieDB in a while, but we’re no less busy forging greatness here. The blog is being completely redesigned to be friendlier to the information hunters with a landing page, FAQ, wiki, gallery and linear blog layout planned. That release is imminent we are just tightening up a few bolts.

Meanwhile the latest video portrays a direction change in the art department which will make it a lot easier to start implementing some of the assets that are being produced, highly detailed planets and some more suitable weapons effects on the top of the agenda there. A new musician enters the scene as we dispense with the hypnotic soundscapes and bring in something much more suited to the genre.

[​IMG]

Custom ships are now being produced which fortunately fit right in with the placeholder assets. Sure we could have gone for higher-poly models but we like to keep things performant, even though frames per second matters far less for an RTS than say a twitch-gaming shooter we still don’t want things slowing to a crawl during the action for those peeps running older machines.

Feature wise I’ve been busy adding missiles and programming the little buggers to react by shooting them out. Also I’ve been making the environment a little more responsive by making the asteroids crack and split on collisions, I’ve also been making the ship movements a little more ‘natural’ and fixing up the UI which had some apparent bugs in that last video.

[​IMG]

With Christmas in the way the plans to Kickstart are put on hold for the next few months, as it becomes harder to entice people to part with their cash on that platform I’ve been spending a lot of time looking at successful KS projects and extrapolating best practice – one things for sure, the future of this project will not rest solely on that bundle of uncertainty.

Also, we require help with the following:

• 2D UI designer: designing elements such as waypoint circles and interface icons
    • Concept artist: To help realise the vision of the 2nd part of the game: The grand campaign map
      and help put together art for the Kickstarter
    If you can help with any of that leave a message below and we'll come back to you. Hi-resolution images available on the Facebook page: FB page

#90 fieldrequired, Oct 24, 2014
  11. wempu

wempu New Member

Looks great! I know atleast couple of people who would love to play this.

12. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Cheers dude, getting the name out there is proving to be a little difficult so send 'em this way! ;)

13. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Been a little quiet from us lately as we've had to go back to the drawing board on a number of things about the idea. 'Astrometrics' which was planned to play separately from the instances of battle, which would have made multi-player a nightmare (see IndieDB link below for more details.) Instead we've opted for large zones, with Flotilla maneavours and battle instancing happening right in the same game area. This video should give you an idea of that and also the royal shit-ton of other improvements made.

The scope remains at an entire planetary system but you'll play a small cog in a large wheel and we've have constructed a couple of prototypes in the background to prove that concurrent activity around the other planets is possible.

The Homeworld remake gets released at the end of the month so we've put the Kickstarter back to March and we are very very close to beginning closed alpha testing in prep. for Early Access. Enjoy.

Newsletter: http://shallow-space.com/newsletter
    IndieDB:http://www.indiedb.com/games/shallow-space

#93 fieldrequired, Feb 10, 2015
  14. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

The team is focusing on collecting media, quotes and words for the impending Kickstarter. The lead developer muses about the current state of play and we start to look at some early UI mockups. All this and more with new GIFs and imagery over on the IndieDB news article 'Alternate Reality'

[​IMG]

Brian starts discuss some core gameplay mechanics such as asymmetrical balancing and abilities and eludes to so much more over on the blog's latest article.

[​IMG]

We are sad to wave goodbye to the hosted forums on SpaceSimCentral as we setup our own using the very latest in forum technology. Right from the get-go the forums have become a bustle of activity with suggestions, comments and recommendations both on and off topic - they are shaping up to be quite the wealth of information. Head over, register and get involved.

[​IMG]

15. Elijah Lucian

Elijah Lucian New Member

16. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Hey this seems very interesting, we have a requirement for some very short pieces - radio chatter and the like, would this qualify?

- - - Updated - - -

Been a while since I posted here, progress is swift as always but the bulk of the team is geared towards getting the stuff together for the Kickstarter, meanwhile I can't keep away from the code so I've been continuing to test and improve and made some significant performance tweaks and added some more new features. Can't wait til the KS video is recorded so I can really get my teeth in and refactor some of the older code.

Enjoy!

17. Nutter2000

Cool good luck with the Kickstarter!

18. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Cheers dude!

The producer of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident joins the Shallow Space team!

Although over 10 years has passed since that amazing title, Vincent Van Diemen has kept himself busy producing games at his company 'Gamershook' and has kindly offered his help in taking Shallow Space from a tech demo, through funding to completion.

But what exactly will he do for the team? Will there be any influences from the Nexus game? Find out all about it and more over on the latest IndieDB post 'A Grand Unification.'

Development shifts temporarily to dressing up the graphics to add a little more wow factor, explosions get a lick of paint as does the general ambiance - under the hood the rudimentary mining mechanics are put into place and we drop the holographic grouping of Flotillas as when polled users found it too confusing, all in good time for the Kickstarter happening imminently!

Join the fight, sign up to the newsletter! http://shallow.space/newsletter

#98 fieldrequired, Mar 7, 2015
  19. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

[​IMG]

Sooo here's a quick update from us; we're busting with excitement here with e-mails flying about getting the finishing touches ready and heavily testing the alpha demo to minimise some of the bugs.

[​IMG]

Over on IndieDB there's a potent announcement of the impending IndieGogo campaign (no longer Kickstarter, explained on page) we talk about the progression of the game to closed alpha, there's a cool GIF of a station exploding/disintegrating and a set of serene HD wallpapers of partially eclipsed planets to take a look at!

Here's the latest video from Brian as he tests one of the alpha builds running on his mac in OSX with commentry.

#99 fieldrequired, Mar 25, 2015
  20. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

And we are live with the crowdfunding campaign!

[​IMG]

Meet us over on IndieDB for the official announcement, loads of free stuff over there: the Demo(!!) Samplers of the albums, cool eclipsed planet HD wallpaper pack, short story 'The Gift' all in celebration of the campaign going live! http://www.indiedb.com/games/shallow-space

Some more exciting news; the Nexus:TJI concept artist has expressed an interest in joining the team, we start to show off some of his art over on the IGG page. The page it has a ton of information about the game and we have some really exciting updates planned, face-to-face interviews with the team including Vincent van Diemen himself.

[​IMG]

There has been a monumental effort from the team putting this thing together and we're only partway. Fingers crossed we get funded and as always, thanks for the support!