3D RTS - Shallow-space

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by fieldrequired, Mar 6, 2014.

1. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Hey everyone, i'm going to start talking over some of my videos as I hear its a good method of reaching out to people.

It might backfire on me however as I don't really have the voice for it :) hopefully i'll get better at it as time goes on!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/shallow-space/videos

And a pic to lure you in:

[​IMG]

#41 fieldrequired, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  2. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Screenshot of the tactical overlay in action, really starting to become the game I envisage now :D

[​IMG]

3. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

4. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Very nice, I'm very impressed by how far you've come so quickly!

5. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Thanks bud, I have to say that Unity fits me like a glove!

Mad to think I hadn't even touched it two months ago, I've done quite a few programming courses now and i've been at it since I was 8/9 so I guess I have a head start over most people. Had a pause over the last few days to put together documentation, 83 page method spec lol bored me to tears, essential though on a project like this! I've heard tales of people attempting this sort of thing and falling flat on their faces, a high degree of class coupling being the culprit I would imagine. It's very easy to run off with the prototype code and not look back which would be a fatal mistake!

This is my life today:

[​IMG]

#45 fieldrequired, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  6. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

2 months?!?...excellent productivity! I've been working on my game for 5 years part time and it doesn't look much better than what you have here.

7. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Many thanks! I don't know what to say back to that, i'm not one to swell with self importance. I just know what I want to achieve and know that if I have any hope of achieving it I have to be structured and methodical and i'm fortunate enough to only have really hit two major snags in the project so far. The bit I really enjoy which I never thought I would is marketing!

8. Nutter2000

82 page method spec? blimey. That's dedication!
    Autogenerated or manual?

Hehe the East Midlander in me wants to make a joke about the "Brum Issues" on the whiteboard, but I won't ;-D

9. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Haha!! Love it mate - well there ain't nothing going on in the East Midlands so you joke away ;)

Autogenerated, I started doing it manually but then realised very quickly that it was going to be a killer. I re-commented all of my code (took 2-3 days in itself) and used Doxygen (http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/) to do it, the program is amazing frankly! SS really needs a spec doc, I was spending ages scratching my chin going 'hmmmm where did I put that' now I have an hyperlink reference manual - very handy!

Work on the Carrier and fighters is coming along video here http://www.indiedb.com/games/shallow-space/videos

And a pic to entice you in:

[​IMG]

10. Nutter2000

Lol - yeah isn't that the truth :-( ;-)

Nice, I've used Doxygen for C++ projects before but never with Unity. Might have to give take another look.

Like the carrier, nicely done.
    The Greek symbols for your groups is a neat touch, don't often see that.

Oh btw, I noticed you were talking to my mate, DiscoJustice (aka Glenn ;-)), who's working on his Fleet game. He's in Notts too.
    Small world and all that :-D

11. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Yeah, it works pretty well - works best with C# as I understand it though.

Thanks, I do like the greek symbols - they represent the fighter wings in the screenshot above.

Hah Nottingham really? I think we're going to have to meet up - a little strange that the space fleet warfare indie effort is concentrated in such a minuscule portion of the planet! Tell him that he needs to pull his finger out, i'm showing him up :p hehe

12. Nutter2000

Makes sense since C# is similar to C++, will have to give it a try.

Cool

Yeah will have to!
    Who knows one day I might actually make Rezzed or GameCity too! :)

13. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

14. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

This is crazy, a couple of hours of tinkering, a bit of advice from some industry professionals and we get this, just shocking.

I now truly think there are no longer any limits to what a lone indie developer can create given time and imagination (and a touch of skill)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Just a quick heads up, i've written in movement waypoints which is kind-of essential to a game like this. Also the camera has been completely rewritten (hence why its jerky, still ironing that out) and some effects have been added. Here's a video:

IndieDB has the lasted news on the development of Shallow Space, take a read ;) http://www.indiedb.com/games/shallow-space

#55 fieldrequired, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  16. Nutter2000

Very nice, looking good mate :)

17. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Cheers bud, yeah we have a few more people on the team now so we are able to start on SFX and concept works.

We also have a new logo and the blog has had a lick of paint also, you wouldn't recognised it now! http://shallow-space.com:

[​IMG]

18. Nutter2000

Very nice :)
    I didn't realise you had a team

19. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Well there is me, Yogev the musician and Enry this crazy enthusiastic and talented Russian lad. I'm doing the coding and decision making though, had some interesting offers to team up but it'll just turn into a cat fight, I have my own ideas and I've wanted to make this for a while now so its better this way!

Also a few high profile developers working with me giving me hints and subcontracting their services at a favourable rate, I can't really tell you who they are but the CV's don't really get much better put it that way...

Hows things with you bud?

#59 fieldrequired, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  20. Nutter2000

Very nice :-D

Oh things are slooooow at the moment, my main project is having a few difficulties with people so I'm not sure if it'll continue or not.
    Trouble is my other stuff is on the back burner because of this project :-(