3D RTS - Shallow-space

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by fieldrequired, Mar 6, 2014.

1. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

3D RTS - Shallow Space

Hi all,

Shallow Space is a 3D RTS: Guide a set of battle-cruisers through a complex and intriguing scenario, using resources to advance weaponry and skills. Mine those resources to ensure your fleet remains prepared as you advance through the detailed narrative. Micromanage power distribution, damage and training on your flagships while at the same time producing smaller ships like cruisers, frigates, corvettes and fighters to compliment your flag ships and prepare the front lines for what is about to become very shallow space.

I find it sad that the genre has died a death, games like Nexus: The Jupiter incident, Homeworld and Starfleet Command just aren't around any more so I feel its time to don my indie cap and get amongst my companions. My game is in active development and I know i'm passionate about the genre and am starting to put together something that will shine but I'd like to get some public opinion - am I flogging a dead horse? It all seems to be all mobile games and FPS's nowadays...

My developer blog is over at http://shallow-space.com and there you'll find plenty of videos and images and frequent posts about my progress.

Good luck to my fellow devs,

James

#1 fieldrequired, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    DMATH likes this.
  2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Your models look good. I like the ambient noise sound effect, it made me think of watching a 70's space movie where there was no sound in space.

2 nits.

1. When the red ship takes a bunch of damage it momentarily glows blue. When that happens the visual is kind of a cube, not up to the standard of the other visuals.
    2. I understand you are still in dev. but while I watched that space battle it would have been great to see damage bars to see what kind of progress was being made. I find it a compelling notion that those cruisers might bang away on each other for 5 minutes before a victory but if that is the plan then damage bars will be necc. to tell the story of how the battle is evolving.

3. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Hey Lennard,

Thanks for the comments:

1. That transparent blue cube is the selection box it happens when the mouse hovers over a game object (ship or asteroid at the moment) it looks very ugly close up, but quite nice from a distance. See below:

[​IMG]

I'll probably opt for a more traditional targeting reticle in the end.

2. I don't really know whether to implement an always visible shields/hull bar or not really, many of the battle scenes will contain 70+ ships of different varieties and it would look a mess. I think i'll end up showing the respective bars on mouseover and for all ships onscreen when the user presses ALT. In either case I haven't (ahem) implemented damage of any kind just yet which is why you couldn't see any real feedback.

Cheers!

James

#3 fieldrequired, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  4. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

#4 fieldrequired, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  5. Mallot1

Mallot1 New Member

Very nice! i would like to see more :D

#5 Mallot1, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  6. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Thanks Mallot :) nice site btw, very clean design.

I update the blog after i've done a bit of coding so you can see more there (http://shallow-space.com) but heres another screenshot in the meantime....

[​IMG]

7. RedMeatGames

RedMeatGames New Member

Looks good! I like the audio it really gives you the feeling of outer-space, but why are there no laser shot sounds when the ships are firing?

8. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Hey RedMeat, the audio is just a placeholder really - I haven't worked on that yet need to get some decent samples together. Glad you like it though, you're not the first to comment on that so i'll probably keep it in as ambient noise. Some more pics and videos uploaded to my blog (http://shallow-space.com) in the meantime, here's another screenshot:

[​IMG]

9. lennard

Looking good!

When I look at this screen shot I can't tell who is shooting at who. Any thoughts?

+1 for the current sfx - really makes it different from other games like it that I have seen.

10. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Thanks Lennard, thats less of a problem in the videos or when playing the game as the projectiles travel towards the target. The beam lasers need a bit of tweaking though, i'm going to make them 'slice' towards there target to make it a bit more obvious who's firing. The border of the ships shield/hull bars denote wether its hostile or not, with blue for Player ships, red for hostiles and green for NPC, also much more prominent when playing (but I might turn down the transparency a little.)

11. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Looks really good
    I do love a good space based rts :-D

looking forward to seeing your progress, have toggled to watch your progress on indiedb :)

12. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

13. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

This game looks really good. I am also working on a space-themed game (albeit a 2D MMO) and yours looks a lot better than mine at the moment :D The only thing I can comment on is the 'camera' seems to jutter once in a while as if someone is holding it. This could have just been a poor frame rate during playback on my system, but though I would mention it.

14. Nutter2000

Heh yeah it is a small world.
    There are a few Brits on these boards actually, most are pretty quite these days though.

Like your new video.

I didn't notice any jitter

15. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Cheers for the nice words, glad you like it. 2D MMO vs 3D RTS = apple vs pears isn't it! :) doubt one is better than the other - do you have a link?

Yeah even though i'm getting a very smooth 65fps on my laptop, it seem to only let me record at 24fps - plus I am actually holding the camera and flying it around haha, I will implement some smoothing pretty soon and auto-camera-follow (not looking forward to that I can tell ya)

16. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

Cheers, yeah i've just programmed in some pretty cool particle effects on weapons impact so I wished i'd waited to put that up!

Oh I though it was mostly our american friends on here... and what's 'All Out War: 4025'? tried the link but its broken...

17. Nutter2000

Yeah I must fix my links.

It was an awesome, genre-shattering, cooperative turn based mmo strategy game from 2005ish that I'm still trying to get back up and running as soon as I can find the time and money to do it :-(

Sadly it died in beta for many many reasons, including a toxic fan base that ran off new players and my spending far too much time fighting fires rather than fixing what was important.
    A painful and expensive experience but I learned a lot :-/

The concept still works though I think and I've yet to see anything that matches its scope although they're getting closer and closer :-(

Think... a browser based cooperative multiplayer turn based army strategy game where you play as a state that's part of one of three warring factions
    Where you build up armies load them on to a ship and send them to battle against other players on top down 2d maps on far off planets in order to capture specific zones on the map in order to take over that planet once you're side has captured enough of them.
    Coupled with a real time simplified sim-city style base building, full production system, a free market and a completely open ended research system.

18. lennard

A few particles on the hull where the missiles are striking would help as well.

19. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

No, its very hush hush at the moment ;) but hopefully at some point this year I'll be posting it in the forums for feedback

20. fieldrequired

fieldrequired New Member

On that :) i'll post a video of that a little later on, need to get the shields to light up brighter around the impact points also.