3D RPG - Esenthel

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by drean, May 19, 2007.

1. drean

drean New Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm posting about a game we are creating.
    We have moved it to this site : http://esenthel.com/
    Have created forums because we would like to see your feedback : http://esenthel.com/forum/
    And by the way there is new demo version 17!
    Enjoy :)

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 drean, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  2. madjack

madjack New Member

Quick! Post some screenshots before the moderators see your post (rules of the forum - new posts must be accompanied by screenshots).

Downloading the demo now, will post my impressions shortly.

3. drean

drean New Member

Ok just added, thanks ;)

4. HDL

HDL New Member

I downloaded the game and it wouldn't run. I got a runtime error with my directx and I don't know how to fix it. It's something I've encountered before. If I'd come across your website through a search engine, as opposed to from this site, then chances are I wouldn't have even downloaded the game. What's the game about? What's the story? The characters? It just all seems to be about the graphics and that's not enough to hook me into a game. I'd like to know more.

5. drean

drean New Member

Have you checked the requirements in the download page? Do you have the newest DirectX runtime?
    More info about the game itself is going to be shortly described under our forums.

6. madjack

madjack New Member

Drean

Ok - I quite like this - think you have the basis for a good, fun 3d RPG.

Firstly, ran without problems - Win2000, AMD Athlon64 3200, Nvidia 7600GT

The music was evocative, if a little treacly, but ok for the style/scene. Logo/splash screen is attractive.

In-game graphics are well done and entirely suitable for the job. Dungeon walls have good detailing. Dungeon is a little clean though - could do with some ditying up I think.

The sensible choice of keys meant that I got to grips with it fairly quickly - e.g. WASD to move around, I for inventory and the like.

Especially liked the fact that you could view from 1st person/3rd person/isometric. I prefer 1st person myself for the immersion factor, but that's just me.

Did find it a bit tricky to navigate in isometric view - would probably need to remap the turn left/right keys for this, but key remapping did not appear to be available in this demo.

So quickly figured how to pick up a sword. Did find it a bit difficult dragging items around my inventory as the cursor doesn't seem properly centred.

Also, equipped the righthand slot with a sword and was then confused when it appeared in my left hand while the right hand continued to swing at the air. Guess a picture of your warrior and an emphasis on your main weapon slot might help here. Picked up a second sword, equipped the left weapons slot (right hand) and started attacking 'naked guy'.

Naked guy fought back! But he soon went down, whilst showing some ragdoll physics. Cool. Water man went down next.

Tried the spell fx. Light does what it says. Used fireball on skele. Ok - impact fx a little underwhelming but perhaps it's just a low level spell.

Found a grated door, which opened (no doubt as I'd picked up a key earlier) followed by a wodden door, which wouldn't open. I see you have outside scenery in your screenshots - is that included in the demo, or have I missed something?

All in all, a good start and the basis for a fun game I think.

7. drean

drean New Member

Thanks for this big review :)
    Are you sure about the cursor in the inventory not being centered?
    I think it's the same thing in diablo, when you put an item in the left hand slot it appears as your main weapon, I did this because the left slot is more in the center of the screen, and it's easier to access it.
    The fireball is a new thing and just being implemented, so for sure it will have some tweakses.
    In fact the first door (grates) can be opened always, but the second one does require the key, you have to select the key and then click on the door.
    For now the opendoors scenery isn't included in the demo, because I'm still working on it.
    Thanks again!

8. madjack

madjack New Member

'Are you sure about the cursor in the inventory not being centered?'

Well, I just tested it - I put the tip of the cursor (i.e. the tip of the sword cursor) over the bottom edge of a sword in my inventory and held down the LMB. The cursor then popped up to the top of the sword item - which is counterintuitive. Also, you need to expand the zone for the slots in which the item will 'click' into, so you don't need to have the item exactly over the slot for it to be equipped.

'I think it's the same thing in diablo, when you put an item in the left hand slot it appears as your main weapon'

I think the issue is that there's no image of your warrior to tell you that you're equipping for the right hand with the left slot. Even just a generic outline of your 'body'.

'In fact the first door (grates) can be opened always, but the second one does require the key, you have to select the key and then click on the door.'

Ok - that does work as you say, although there's no indication in the demo that that's how things work. In fact I'd recommend that if you have the right key, pressing f shold use that key automatically (perhaps with a 'key used' message), without having to go to the inventory - but that's your call.

Hope this is useful.

(and if you're interested, feel free to check out my project sometime ;-)
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=10701

9. drean

drean New Member

Hmm. when I click on the inventory slot, the cursor doesn't move, but the item moves under the cursor.
    The key solution you're suggesting would be a good for an fpp shoter, but here it's an rpg, you'll have many keys, many doors, and you will have to manually select which key goes to wich door.
    I'm just downloading your demo, looks like a tron game from the screenshots :)

10. HDL

HDL New Member

I've no idea what that even means. :) Well I do kind of and the answer's probably no since I don't tend to play recent games. I also wouldn't know how to go about getting it sorted out. Might be an idea to include information like that on a FAQ page for idiots like me.

I'd include the information about the game on your website too. It's going to be the first thing people look at, not the forums, and if they're not hooked there then there's less likelihood they'll check out the forums. Of course it depends on who your target audience is.

11. drean

drean New Member

Just go to the download page (esenthel.zendurl.com/en/download.html)
    and please read the requirements.
    You probably should install the DirectX and PhysX drivers, there are links to that stuff..

12. drean

drean New Member

Esenthel

There has been un update with our web site.
    It's now www.esenthel.com
    New screenshots, new concept art and of course new demo - with shadows.
    Here are some screenies :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Oooh.... sooooo nice...

14. drean

drean New Member

new stuff

subsurface scattering:
    [​IMG]

fully dynamic lightmaps:
    [​IMG]

15. drean

drean New Member

Hello everyone! :)
    Today we celebrate Esenthel's first anniversary - the game production has been started about a year ago. So from this occasion we've created a special version of the demo, it's no longer a tech-demo, but for the first time it's a playable game-demo.

You can check it here http://www.esenthel.com

And here are some screens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!

16. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Please don't name your installer "installer.exe". Thank you.

17. drean

drean New Member

sorry but I dont get it ;)

18. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Too many programs use the same name. I *hate* cygwin's setup for having the name setup.exe.

19. drean

drean New Member

New version #21 released, don't hesitate to check it out

20. Mikademus

Mikademus New Member

[​IMG]
    "Where... is... MARTHA!!!"