3D Rendered Background vs. HandMade Pixel Art

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by stanchat, Sep 2, 2005.

1. stanchat

Indie Author

I am trying to change the background scenery in my current game and I wanted to get some opinions about the art styles I am considering.

I have decide to go with either 3D rendered backgrounds or Handmade Pixel artwork that I own. The 3D rendered background will be a lot easier for me to create while the Handmade tile artwork will take some work to create unique levels. Let me know what your opinion is.

3D Screen 1
    3D Screen 2
    3D Screen 3
    HandArt Screen 1

Thanks...

2. soniCron

Indie Author

Tough call, but put my vote on the hand art. (Sorry! :))

3. Bmc

Bmc New Member

i'd go with the hand art.

4. vjvj

Indie Author

Hmm, I have to say the 3D art...

5. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

This would be far easier to compare if you used lossless compression for the images. While hand-pixeled art is by far my favorite art style, it tends to get ruined by jpeg compression. Anyway, I don't particularily care for either attempt in this case, but I'll still vote for the hand-pixeled art under the assumption that it'll look much better without jpeg compression.

6. AlexN

Original Member

I'd go with the 3D.

7. Rory

Original Member

I like the look of the handart

8. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

I think you should consider the look of the game as a whole. Take into account how the interface is going to look, look the style of the HUD display, the style of the in-game objects, the premise of the game, etc. The game should come out as a coherent whole. Mixing 3D graphics with Hand drawn art is not generally a good idea. So either make everything 3D art, or make everything Hand drawn art.

If you're good at it, you might get away with mixing things together, but the most important consideration should be whether as a whole things look consistent. With that in mind, I think that hand drawn scene seems better.

Btw, I noticed that the 3D bgs don't have shadows in them. Why?

Pallav

9. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I like the "3D" more

10. electronicStar

Original Member

I like the amount of details and the depth of the 3D ones.

11. Stefan Maton

Original Member

I agree with pallavnawani. Even before I saw the hand drawn, my first thought when I saw the 3D art was: "He'll better take hand drawn."

The hand drawn art fits better into the overall game art.

Best regards,
    Stefan

12. Olivier

Indie Author

You could also use 3D rendered backgrounds, but with a cartoony style that would better fit the game genre. I'm thinking of the backgrounds of Cactus Bruce.

13. ManuTOO

Original Member

i like the 3D one, but I think that on the 1st shot the grass is a mess for the eyes and hides your main character.

I guess you should keep it cleaner & with less contrast, just like in your hand-made one.

Maybe you should try to blur the background to simulate a depth of view, like with a real camera.
    Like this, I guess it'll harm the gameplay by making the elements less easy to see.

If you cannot do all of this, maybe better to stick to the handart, coz it looks cute enough, and very readable at 1st sight..! :)

Hope it helps...
    cya!

14. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I think handmade is a much better fit - but currently, the 3d art in the examples is better quality. You just need some hand-drawn art that looks a little better than that. As it is, it's a tough call. But I don't think the 3d art matches at all - and due to the depth, and the angles of it, it makes the 2d plane where the action takes place seem a little funny. Like the game's being played on a pane of glass in front of the scene.

If you had a really nicely drawn bit of hand-made art, it would be the best choice hands-down.

15. sparkyboy

Original Member

Exactly as Anthony said.....hand drawn art for me!!

All the best

mark.

16. Ricardo C

Original Member

Hand drawn, definitely.

And if I may make an unsolicited suggestion... Ditch those god-awful kid models and use hand-drawn sprites instead.

17. Nexic

Indie Author

3D doesn't look good with the the other art in the game, it doesn't fit at all. Go with handpainted!

18. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Handmade is better

I like the handmade background better, just make it antialiased and it's cool.

19. tonyg

Original Member

hand-drawn

20. WaveRider

Indie Author

put me down for the hand art