3D poly counts

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by 3dben, Mar 14, 2005.

1. 3dben

Original Member

Hi,

What are some of the poly counts you guys are able to push on lower end machines (and I dont mean demo wise, I mean in a full game)

On my lowest machine: AMD K62 500Mhz with a GeForce4 MMX 440. Im getting 21 fps with 27,210 polys at 800x600 fullscreen 16bit mode. Im wondering how that compares and am looking for some good ways to improve performance.

Thanks.

-=ben

2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's kind of a hazy subject, it depends on waaay too many factors to be of use. How many vertices are affected by bones? what size textures? how many textures? what kind of culling do you use? what else is going on?

27,000 seems plenty for a game though, why do you want more? If you're happy with that as your minimum spec then go for it.

3. 3dben

Original Member

Very true about it being a hazy subject, there are TONS of variables. Im just trying to find a baseline to determine how far off I am from having something good (performance wise).

Thanks for the feedback.

-=ben

4. PeterM

Original Member

A good idea would be to check some of the papers on the nvidia developer site regarding Direct3D performance and optimisation.

Check that you're not doing anything they say not to do and you should be golden.

The big wins, as far as I know, are minimizing state changes as much as possible and making sure you don't stall the pipeline:

1. Pack everything onto as few vertex buffers as you can.
    2. Change textures as infrequently as possible.
    3. Change render state as infrequently as possible.
    4. Try to use vertex buffers the way they're supposed to be used. Write only, specifying correct flags when you're locking dynamic VBs etc.

Hope this helps

Pete