3D modelling software

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by floofthegoof, Nov 10, 2004.

1. BongPig

Indie Author

Huh? :confused:

Sorry Chaster. I think you misunderstood me somehow. I was basically saying its a fantastic offer. :)
    In fact, if Jack doest want it, ill take it off you in a second. Mail me if thats the case.

2. Dingo Games

Indie Author

They often do look very similar, but I don't think that most customers would notice.

I think that making reallistic humans from scratch is very difficult.. With Poser you can do it with little effort. Last time that I tried making humans from scratch.. heh, well they didn't turn out well, so I just called them mutants instead.. and then added a "radiactive boils" bump map. But perhaps other people ( e.g. "real" artists ) don't think that making humans is so difficult.

If you're an inexperienced artist, and are making a game with a lot of human characters, Poser is probably a good way to go. And then perhaps another 3d program ( like Blender ) for other things.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ok let me know if you find the dongle first :) I'm leaving for a holiday trip for a week, but I think I'll be able to read emails (not forums) with PDA :)

Thanks!

4. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I personally use XSI. XSI is "It'll blow you away" flexible and allows an amazing level of control, but that comes at a price. The learning curve is *very* steep if you don't have a lot of experience under your belt. If you have the time, I'd go for it, because you'll learn more about 3D with it than just about anything else, but if you don't have time to really get down and dirty with it, forget it. The training manuals and DVDs don't cover enough to equip the newbie in a short amount of time. I'm estimating it'll take me two years plus to get to grips with everything it can do.

I've used Truespace for my last project, and even though it's fairly buggy (at the best of times) it's easy to use, is cheap (really cheap for the things it can do) and the user base is very supportive. It'll handle a whole multitude of game design situations without a problem. Try www.caligari.com and have a look into Gamespace, as well (the Lite version is free). Eventually you'll grow out of it, but I learnt a massive amount from it, and recommend it to anyone limited by cash.

Btw, if you're interested in something Caligari related, sign up for their newsletter and wait for the special offers. They're well known for it :)

#24 Reactor, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  5. BongPig

Indie Author

Reactor,
    Do you use the sub $500 version of XSI?
    If so, could I ask, does it have any kind of scripting language built into this basic version? Its important to me to have some kind of control over the inner workings of the software.
    Im very interested in getting some experience with all major 3D software as im doing more and more work for TV.

6. Diragor

Original Member

Truespace 3 was the first 3d modelling application I ever used and I agree with Reactor that it's still a good way to learn. Version 3 is now completely free. I don't have a link for you and I remember it not being very easy to get to on Caligari's site, but some Googling for "truespace 3 free" should turn something up. They're now on version 6 and I believe you can buy any version in between at various price points between free for v.3 and $500-700 for the very latest (I don't know what it goes for right now). Also, if you give them a real e-mail address when you get the free version you will eventually get a very good offer in your inbox for later versions. I still think Truespace (any version) is the easiest-to-use full-featured 3d modelling app I've ever seen.

7. Carrot

Indie Author

Well, for that price I'd have to steal it. :)

Personally, i think Wings is one of the best modelers that I've ever used. The interface is off-putting at first, but once you get used to it, the modeling is a breeze and allows you to be creative, rather than worry about the interface.

I also used milkshape, but generally only as a file format converter.

8. Reactor

Yep, I'm using Foundation. I don't yet have a need for some of the nifty extras in the more pricey versions :)

There are a number of ways of scripting in XSI, although I not sure of the details, because I know nothing about scripting at all :) However, I've spent enough time on their mailing list to know that most guys believe it can't get any better that what XSI allows. Expect support for Jscript, Vbscript, and I'm fairly sure... python.

On a side note, the thing to keep in mind with XSI, is to research it thoroughly. It runs really fast with most graphic cards, but it doesn't like Radeon cards, and most Nvidia cards (outside of the Quadro) are officially unsupported, meaning that people like myself running a gamer's card have to deal with the odd funny hickup here and there. I can live with it (because all of the 3D programs I run seem to have funny hickups), but a lot of people won't like it. Anyway, the details of supported cards (and scripting details) are on the Softimage site.

9. Reactor

Wings is great :) It doesn't handle open objects, but for box modelling it's fantastic. I've never had an issue with the interface.

10. stanchat

Indie Author

Animation Master by Hash Inc.

Another inexpensive 3D Modelling package is Animation Master by Hash Inc. A lot of the old bugs have been worked out and this product has been pretty stable for me for the last 3 years. It is a spline based/organic modeller ( as opposed to polygonal).

http://www.hash.com/

11. Sybixsus

Original Member

Is the license for 3 transferable?

I didn't own 3dsMax before Version 4, but all versions since ( and including 4 ) have a non-transferable license. Discreet very, very rarely grant exceptions for license transfers ( I imagine when someone won it brand new in a contest might be such a case, but as I say, it practically never happens. )

12. Chaster

Original Member

My sincerest apologies BongPig - I must have not gotten enough sleep because I thought you were being sarcastic... Sometimes I break my own stupid cardinal rule: do not try to read tone of voice in text communication.. Bad Chaster! Bad!

Still looking for the dongle...

Chaster

13. Chaster

Original Member

You know, I have no idea... All I know is I have 3D Studio Max R3.1 in a box sitting on my shelf collecting dust... <shrug>... I don't know if there is some mechanism within the software which prevents transferring to another owner (seeing as how I don't even have it installed on any machines right now... I don't know how it would know...?) :confused:

Well, anyway, if anyone has any questions, please PM me because this is off topic for this thread..

Chaster

14. wazoo

Original Member

slightly OT?

Hey all,

How are you exporting the models to a format for your game? Are you creating a new model format everytime, or are there some decent
    exporter tools available that do everything for you?

I'm a newbie when it comes to the 3d modeling stuff, but I'm trying out different versions of the modeling tools listed in this thread to try and export something simple like a crate mesh, then view it in my game..

thanks!