3d game makers what tools do you use to develop 3d games

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by umen, Nov 24, 2010.

1. umen

umen New Member

Hello all
    Im beginner in this field of games ( but have a lot of programming experience in c++ & java )
    I wander how is the 3d market compared to 2d games market also what is the pro's and con's of each ?
    I already got great recommendations on development tools for 2d games , but what about 3d games
    What will be good and fast Dev tool set in terms of libraries and such .
    Thanks for helping

2. flavio

flavio New Member

If you are looking for open source ones, look at Ogre, IrrLicht, CrystalSpace, Panda3D. About commercial ones, look at Unit, Shiva, C4.

3. umen

umen New Member

well i know all of them some by name and some by code

My question is more to folks that are actually developed games in one or more of them and can tell me the pro's and con's

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I use to work as a 3D engine guru for a game company. Now as a 1 man company, I'm sticking to 2d (despite of all my expertise and resources in 3d: my own engine+exporter+everything). That says a lot about it, isn't it.

99% of the time, 2d games are easier/cheaper/faster to complete.

JC

5. flavio

flavio New Member

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you've written (I was led astray by the title of the topic).

6. electronicStar

Original Member

Deejoban is using 3D game studio A8. It seems rather well industry tested, judging from their games.
    I tried the demo and it is rather easy to work with if you like the "engine-modding" style of game develloping.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

It's not bad, but is PC only, which is rather surprising considering that most 3d engines nowadays support LOTs of platforms...

8. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

+ to jc's comment.

As a self-confessed newbie to game development, drop all ideas about 3D for now. It's not just a little more complicated, it's a lot more complicated. It's not beyond learning at all, but you need to get the common basics down first, and for that 2D is the no brainer.

Think of the path of 2D -> 3D as an extra order of magnitude. Or raising a linear function to a quadratic.