3D creation Tools which one?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by GnadeGames, Aug 3, 2006.

1. GnadeGames

Original Member

Hey all-
    Thinking about incorporating 3D models into next title and wanted to know which programs/renderers were best or you've had a good experience with. Currently: I've tried blender.org and their free engine- I think it is terrible and very user-unfriendly. I recently downloaded a trial of 3d studio max and a trial of sketch-up. I love sketch-up's interface, but can tell 3d studio max is more powerfull (if a little more complex and harder to learn). Just wondering if there were any others out there that I should try out or any opinions on the above would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Cartman

Indie Author

I can tell you what I've learned. If you are coming at it from the stand point of a newbie, I would recommend TrueSpace. Their interface is very intuitive to non-3d people. However if you have experience in 3D and/or have been trained by a studio then 3D Max is the recommendation.

3. Diragor

Original Member

I'd recommend spending more time with Blender and going through some tutorials before you dismiss it. On the other hand, I second the trueSpace suggestion. I've been a fan of that program since version 3. I think it's the most intuitive and easy to use modeling app out there.

4. esrix

Original Member

It also depends on what you plan on doing. Are you going to have fully rigged and animated 3D entities running in your game? Or are they going to be simple 3D objects that are only repositioned by coding, like a spaceship?

I'm very much into Blender, but I do agree that it's interface needs some serious work. If you sit down with it for a month (assuming you have the time) then you will learn a lot about it.

3DS Max and Maya are industry standards. However, the price might be much for an indie developer. Not to mention finding the "best" tutorials and information might cost you even more if you don't know where to look (such books can cost up to $70).

So be sure to clarify what you are looking for before laying down the cash.

5. GnadeGames

Original Member

Thanks a lot for the advice. True space looks really good actually and I am going to try out one of the demos. I also like that there are cheaper packages since I don't think I'll need all the power of 7 and can settle for 6 or 5. Thanks again hopefully, I'll like the interface. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recommendations.

6. MiceHead

Original Member

I used TrueSpace for years. It's a nice, entry-level 3D modeller. The biggest downside I found were the bugs. Nothing show-stopping, but often frustrating. You might also look into GameSpace by the same company, as that's more geared towards games.

7. Sysiphus

Original Member

Any 3d package needs a learning time, don't forget.
    Must give a real try.

Blender and Anim8r are Ok, but it depends on what you pretend to do. usually for shareware games , specially if rendered stuff, are good to go.

Imho Anim8or is easier to learn.

www.blender.org
    (check its documentation section!)
    www.anim8or.com
    (it has a PDF manual, grab it)

[I handle well both, know each pros/cons]

Also, that lovable thing, Cinema4d, specially for rendering stuff. Is quite complete. But not cheap.Yet tho cheaper than Max, etc.

havent tested, but somebody spoke me well for rendering and general stuff about this one :

http://www.3d-designer.com/en/3d-design/3d-design.htm

Is cheap.

Cinema4d:
    http://maxon.net/index_e.html

#7 Sysiphus, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  8. bignobody

Indie Author

If you're not rigging/animating, wings3D is a great little box modelling tool. I used it pretty much exclusively when creating Shlongg.

9. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If all you want to do is model then wings3d could work... and for more complex involved models check out http://www.nevercenter.com/ ... silo is a pretty good app at around 100$

If you want something that scales up, and will do pro level animation, and rendering then softimage xsi 5.x can't be beat for the price. The low end is around 500$ and has comperable features and power to 3dstudio. It's a bit steeper learning curve than the modelers above though.

- S

10. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Blender's pretty good. It took me several stabs at it over the years to finally get it. The printed/Store Bought copy of the Blender Book helped. Also, having a detailed hotkey reference handy is huge. Nab that here:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/BlenderHotkeyReference.pdf

I have pages 2-9 printed 4 pages per sheet on 2 sheets, and I put them back to back and put them through a page laminator (plastic covering), so now I have this great protected double sided reference card.

Then writing a custom exporter is a matter of hacking an included python script. Fun stuff.

I also have Softimage XSI, as it's the cheapest of the big ones (Max, Maya, XSI), but I havn't had the time to figure out how to use it yet... at least given I know blender now.

11. Sysiphus

Original Member

Wings rocks seriously....I model everything with it. I started this orc with it... :
    http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs68&d=06070&f=orco2.jpg

I just didn't mention as was pointing first to the free rendering/animation full solutions. I never model in Blender even in my Blender projects, but that's me.

12. Paul-Jan

Original Member

For static (i.e. non-animated) content, you might want to give DeleD a try. If nothing else, it has the added benefit of having one of the authors around right here on these forums for bashing purposes... :D

13. Philippe

Original Member

I've recently had the opportunity to be paid for learning Blender.
    I come from a 3dsmax background and had plenty of exposure to it during college. It's powerful and efficient once you've learned it, however it's really, really expensive.

Blender on the other hand definitely takes some getting used to, but once you've acquainted yourself with its interface, it's an amazing application. It handles in a very non-standard way, but it's very well thought out and has a bunch of features that really make sense (like keyboard shortcuts producing different results depending on over what type of window the mouse cursor is).

I've pretty much got the hang on the modelling end of things by now, and I even think it's more fun than in max. Haven't had much experience yet with the animation and rendering features, but I'm really glad I don't have to shell out 5000€ for a max license.

Give it another try. Expect it to take a few weeks, but it's definitely worth it.

14. Surrealix

Indie Author

As philippe said (and you mentioned initially), Blender has a very non-standard interface.

Therefore, I'd suggest, if you havn't had much experience modelling before, to give it a (decent) go. I use Blender, really enjoy working in it, and have no problems with the features/capabilities, which are comparable to a lot of commercial programs. The hardest part for me was switching from the traditional 3D interface (which I learnt in) to the blender one - which is why it's probably a lot easier to learn it if you have no expectations. I'd encourage you to stick with it for a while, at least until you get the hang of modelling in it, so you get to know how it works/what features it has before you judge it.

The support for it is really good (in terms of community forums, that is), and I've rarely encountered any bugs/issues with it.

15. Fost

Indie Author

When it comes down to free apps, I would give Wings a miss and just get stuck into blender. I love wings as a pure modelling app, but if you ever have to start animating any of those models, then you are going to have to switch to something else anyway - at which point the time you spent learning wings is a loss. It might seem like a quick way into things, but bear in mind you may need more versatality on future projects.

16. michalczyk

Original Member

When I was evaluating 3D tools two years ago, I decided to go with either blender, Animation master or Realsoft 3D. My requirements were that the tools would be good enough for my needs, cost less than $500 and preferably run under linux. I have been using 3DS MAX for nearly a decade but wanted to change to something more affordable. I typically use only 5-10% of what 3DS Max can do, so whay pay for the remaining 90-95% I never use. In the end I decided to go with blender because it's free and runs under linux.

17. Mentat

Original Member

18. electronicStar

Original Member

Yes Blender is unintuitive and has some shortcomings (no align function?) but it's a very good tool , because you'll probably find that it can do all that you need to be done, and there aren't a lot of software that are so complete, even among the expensive ones.
    Plus you can't beat the price, so IMO it's worth learning to use Blender.

19. gellyware

Original Member

I've tried a good number of 3d apps over the last few years and there are only two that I use now for my 3d work, XSI Foundation and ZBrush. Both apps are about $500 each and are extremely powerful and easy to use.

www.softimage.com

www.pixologic.com

20. Sysiphus

Original Member

Sorry, I don't agree in the certain aspect on that it depends on how do you setup your workflow, and what is your experience.

I do model with Wings in every game or other art job I land at, and they're allways quite pleased of my modelling plus my final full result work. I have integrated it in Max, Maya, XSI, Blender workflows. being mostly thess apps the final rendering or game exporting tools. I handle well almost all them, and some very deeply. I use other specialized-task tools like Zbrush, Ultimate Unwrap (Uv mapping only, some anims conversions) , Deep Paint3d.

You can master them all if you like 2d/3d. And so, I do handle every tool for what is best, only. I have many workflows, indeed I often create a new one depending on the project.I'm told to be very fast, so is not a matter of that problem. And conversions, formats..is a matter of knowing well them, and the tricks.

I agree life would be perfect if I'd have in Max zbrush hi detail modelling, deep paint3d direct 3d painting, photoshop texturing, wings modelling, ultimate unwrap uv mapping. I can do it all perfectly with blender, or Max, or even some other all-round tools. But sorry, is not as accurate, fast and powerful in every area like specialized tools. For job reasons, needed to use only-max, very often. No problem with that either, or whatever the package. Once you get experienced and also in moving from one package to another, 3d and 2d is allways the same...but I prefer what I consider a more powerful way...

For organic modelling, no way, Wings is faster ;)