3-d game design

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by kingpin55, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kingpin55

kingpin55 New Member

HI it's me again......... now i need some advice on what game engines or other 3-d game creation tools that are low costing or free ....

2. anpd

Indie Author

Depending on what you are planning to do there are lot´s of options. Unity is free and easy to use. UDK has just been released but might be abit to much if you are planning something smaller. And checkout Ogre3D and Leadwerks.

3. charliedog

charliedog New Member

Hmm. Having recently got started making a 3D game at home after doing a few 2D it's struck me that whilst the game engine is important so is all the other stuff that goes with it. Your going to need:

A good easy to use 3D editor
    Texturing tool
    Animation tool
    2D art tool
    Sound editing tool
    Reasonable degree of skill in all the above
    good tool chain and straightforward way to get art into the game- Unity is pretty good in this regard

All cost money unless you go for the freeware stuff which is generally either poorly specc'd or difficult to use.

The 3D engine is just the tip of the iceberg unfortunately...

So my advise is to make sure that whatever engine you pick has support for a number of tools and lets you get your art into it really easily. I think that's a possible downside for Ogre but I've not used it so can't really comment.

4. anpd

Indie Author

There is a program called Ultimate Unwrap 3d that is really good at converting between different file formats. I have had much use for it when I have worked with 3d.

5. KNau

Original Member

Well, the Unreal Development Kit is free. You can release non-commercial games for free but have to get a license if you want to sell your game. On the other hand if you create a commercially viable game, chances are you can get the money for a license pretty easily.

The question is, what kind of game are you making? There is no one tool that's perfect for everything.

6. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

NeoAxis comes to my mind. I think there was some freeish thing.

Unity also offers something.

I'm using Leadwerks (not free though, and it's in development)

Blitz3d is pretty nice :)

P.S. Something slightly wrong with your signature... :eek:

7. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

FPS Creator can be good for beginners and if you don't have programming skills.

I have had a lot of fun making FPS games with it and don't mind that they are a bit generic.

8. GhostRik

Original Member

The inevitable "Blender's free" mention.

Rik

9. Asvarduil

Asvarduil New Member

I'm using Unity. While the documentation on scripting is...ummm...ethereal?...the engine is more centered toward assembling assets, like code, sound, and graphics. It's possible to piece together small 3D games really quickly, provided you can figure out the API (which, to me, isn't truly tough, it's just tedious having to go check their Support section every few minutes.)