2D turn based RPG written in python

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Edu, May 18, 2017.

1. Edu

Edu New Member

I know some python and I was thinking about starting making an RPG game written on it. I know nothing about game development and never worked with anything graphic or audio. The idea is to start it as a hobby, as well as a way to improve my coding skills and to tell a narrative. I have absolutely no haste to get results but also wish not to waste much time with complex graphical engines and technical details. It's just a hobby after all.

My idea is to do a single-player, turn based RPG, with simple 2D isometric graphics, that run on UNIX. Or perhaps just top-down view for a start. The idea is to make it feel more or less like a story driven pen and paper RPG, but where the computer does the boring number crunching, so the graphics don't really need to be complex. The idea is just to give enough to guide imagination and orient things spatially. It should also be capable of playing some eventual sounds. it should look like a tabletop representation of the map and characters, with the possibility of opening several windows and drop-down menus. The game is to be played mostly with mouse clicks.

I would like to know some orientation on how to join together both the logical aspect of the game system and the graphic and audio. In others words, where to start. Suggestions for engines and external non-python modules that can interface with python scripts are welcome. It's ok if the graphical part runs on something else as long as it can be put together with python logic with the least possible non python coding. The idea is to handle all the logical part of the game in python.

The engine should handle, if desired, graphics looking like Wesnoth (although less cartoonish in style and in a isometric square-grid allowing to simulate terrain elevation). My main interest is building the logical part of it first.

I learn better by doing, so having a framework to start would help me a lot.

#1 Edu, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Edu

Edu New Member

Any suggestion for further research is welcome! I can handle the logical part of the game well in python, it's how it will be transformed in graphics that eludes me at the moment and I don't want to make a logical structure that is incompatible with most engines.

3. JohnCollin

JohnCollin New Member

That sounds great! Pygame is a great library to learn. It allows you to draw graphics.

Also, with that being said, if this is your first game, I would not put that much weight on your shoulders. It takes a team of developers weeks to create a project like a turn based RPG. My advice to you is you should focus on making something playable, not your greatest masterpiece.

#3 JohnCollin, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    Aramisound likes this.
  4. Zeno

Zeno New Member

I'm in according with JohnCollin. You are rushing too much.
    I suggest you to make many little projects to experimenting your scripts, and when you are sure, start to make the basics of the game.
    In this way I've learned to work with Unity, Android Studio and Visual Studio.

JohnCollin and Aramisound like this.