2D Sprites

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ProgrammingFreak, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Anyone know of any good tutorials or paint editors out there, where it is easy to make 2D sprites. 2D sprites that are similar to the nes and snes and look like the early final fight games or something along the lines of double dragon how it looked on arcade

2. oldschool

Original Member

3. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

This helped some, but I'm just not good with 2D sprites or drawing graphics in general, I guess I should look for help then

4. electronicStar

Original Member

There is nothing "easy" about the graphics of double dragon and certainly not final fight either:p

5. esrix

Original Member

There's not easy way to do many forms of art. The only way to get better at any form of art is to practice practice practice. You can use almost any graphics software to do the job. You may not be good today, but with some sweat you can be good soon.

Otherwise, my advice is to hire an artist to do the job for you.

6. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Professional animation and sprite making is a career path by itself, it's not easier than learning to code. So usually you will find good programmers who can draw a little and good artists who can code a little but rarely someone who is of pro level for both.

http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?show=index has good tips but without (loads of) practice you won't achieve anything that resembles Double Dragon.

7. rmedtx

rmedtx New Member

ProgrammingFreak,

If programming is your strenght; you may want to invite an artist to work with you in a project. It's easier that way. Creating sprites is not easy.

8. Sysiphus

Original Member

I've done this in my past(mobile) jobs... Expect people wanting money for it ;) I mean, is not easy, and is quite time consuming. I experimented more time to do it in the fight ones like those you mention.And martial arts ones, more that just the usual sprite.(tho if done arcade low res, is the same almost..)

9. smellykitty

smellykitty New Member

im a fine arts bachelor and even I am worried about when its time to make the sprites for my own game, yikes! :eek:

10. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

I just can't draw and when I try drawing sprites in a paint editor, they still don't come out the way I want them, I've read through tutorials and I have used different techniques, but I can't get the effects I want. I don't have a lot of money either

11. electronicStar

Original Member

Good artist aren't different from you. Actually what makes a good artist is that he keeps working on the piece as long as he is not satisfied.
    The fact that you aren't satisfied in the first place is a good indication that you have the required talent to be an artist: criticism.
    Just keep reading tutorials, experimenting, and working on those parts you don't like until you are satisfied.

But be warned that to make graphics like those in final fight it would take months or years to a one man team.

12. smellykitty

smellykitty New Member

well I have no idea what your background is - are you good at drawing by freehand? are you good at coloring by freehand? sprites may look cheasier but they still require the same skills!

why not draw out your images by freehand first, and use that as a guide before making the sprites? :confused:

13. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Or create a game where you dont need art.

14. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well I'm not good at drawing freehand either, and how would a text-based game sell. I'm probably just have to find an artist

15. esrix

Original Member

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be text based. If you make a game that has a lot of still shots like Myst, or talking heads like Pheonix Wright, you can draw free hand and scan them in an use them in your game.

Sometimes, its not about having graphics that look great, but are applied in a great manner.

For example, if you look at the PS2 game SkyGunner, they have really interesting cinematics despite mediocre art. It's all in the approach. The models don't look that great, but you view most of them from afar or from behind anyway. And they have 3D graphics with 2D comic book style panels overlaying them for their cinematics.

Or, look at most of the Pokemon games. Most of the pokemon are still images when seen in battle. They have two frames: view from behind or view from in front. Yet the games sell very well. I'm in college and I know classmates my age who are foaming over Diamond and Pearl.

So consider how to apply the graphics and that might help you with creating them.

16. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

I wouldn't think people in college would play Pokemon, but thats does give inspriation that graphics aren't a huge part though.

17. Farmergnome

Original Member

Mannnnn,

If you cant hammer out some good art then dont bother, no point trying to make some half assed sh!t, my suggestion would be grab a odd style n run in another direction, maybe use stick figures and scan in sketchy sort of drawings from a book, maybe collage together some realy dodgy 3d and rehashed graphics warioware style, clay scanned sprites maybe? The options are endless, have a bit of a play around :>

You never know, you could carve out a nice little graphical niche, even if it looks ass in a artists eyes.

But if your making a match 3, hire a artist...

18. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well it depends on the game as well. If the game has really crappy graphics but you make it funny, then it could sell. Depending on the level of humor and how well it is percerived. However I want to make a more serious game then a funny one. I'll keep trying

19. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

You can't just try a few times and then give up. Is that how you learned to walk? Becoming good (at anything) requires thousands of tries, not two or three tries. If you don't have the time to learn and decide to go with an artist, that's one thing. But it makes no sense to complain that you tried a couple of times and failed. Did you really expect to make something good on your first few tries? Were your first few programs anywhere near what you are capable of doing now?

20. ProgrammingFreak

Original Member

Well no, I'm a lot better coder then I was a few years ago. I always practiced at coding and not at the graphics, so I guess if I kept playing around with graphics, I'd get a little better at. Well thanks for your advice.