2d platform

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Slayerizer, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Slayerizer

Original Member

I'm wondering which sdk to use for my fast side scroller game: SDL,PTK,HGE?

I've tried ptk on my two laptops but I didnt like it. It refused to run on one and the other laptop didnt have any 3d accelerated opengl drivers available. So ,now I'm more hesitating between HGE and SDL. I really loved the fact that HGE use hardware for 2d acceleration but it depends on DX8.1. Is there a recent survey that shows which version of DX peoples have? Should I forget the bell & whistles and stick with the non accelerated 2d api? Considering that my game would not probably be out before next spring or summer. Can I assume most of the pc will have it?

thanks for any info

2. Yossarian

Original Member

Duke wrote in his DDD Pool thread that he's shown 99% of users that downloaded his game were running DX 8.1. If that is true to even +/- 10% I'd take that as a pretty safe version to shoot for.

HGE has looked promising to me, and I'm really tempted to try it out. The other option I'm pondering is the imminent Torque 2D, especially since I'm planning on getting the normal TGE anyhow to play around with. I'd be interested to know if anyone has taken a look at it yet (I think it has been preleased to a few people last wekk), and if they have thoughts on it.

3. Cartman

Indie Author

I'm currently working with a prerelease version of T2D. I don't have much to report with it yet, however it does seem to be very well designed with tons of features. In its current state, it does scrolling quite well however you will need some skill in Torque script coding. They are targeting making tools that will make it extremely easy to create games with it.

I'm hoping to help with the documentation and examples for it in the near future. I'll keep you guys posted, however I don't want to break any confidentiality I have with the developer.

4. Slayerizer

Original Member

Since Torque2d is built on top of TGE, my greatest fear would be the system requirements. I suspect the thing to be heavy and slow. I will try HGE first and I will probably try Torque2d when it comes out.

5. Sergey Komar

Original Member

Have ever tried CDX lib? (www.cdxlib.com). It is powerful enough, you may use great MAPPY library and map editro for your scrolling needs.

6. 20thCenturyBoy

Original Member

I've investigated HGE for a while now. I really like it. It has a good clean C++ interface and really abstracts away all the DX hassles. There are some nice classes for sprites, animation, resources, particles, timing etc. The main developer, Haaf, is always quick to answer queries on the forum. Also, there is an offshoot project called the Unofficial HGE which is being developed by a Hoek, see http://www.hoek.inkblue.net/. You can also get an excellent sprite and font tool there. The Unofficial HGE kind of acts like a beta test for features that may be included in upcoming releases of HGE. It has pixel-perfect collision detection for example, while the original HGE does not. Have a look at the Tech Demo, I thought it was quite impressive, although it does not demo scrolling.

HGE is really quite a thin wrapper over DX so performance is good. Personally I wouldn't worry about the 8.1 requirement. It's 3 years old now, and the benefits of hardware scaling, rotation and alpha blending are too good to miss :D

20thCB

7. Slayerizer

Original Member

I tried it in the past but it's been too long now and I forgot about it. I will give it a try again.

thanks for the info

8. Aldacron

Original Member

Well, it's a bit bulky with all of the core Torque stuff underneath (the platform abstraction layer, scripting engine, networking and so on), but slow it ain't. From what I've seen so far, I think you'll be hard pressed to match it with any existing 2D game engine.

9. Slayerizer

Original Member

cdx looked more complete than SDL but all the operations are done in software. The samples were quite fast, on my laptop.

HGE looks interesting since it uses hardware acceleration, but a lot of things seems missing from the sdk (joystick support,lighting,...)

So yesterday I've started my own brand new SDK. I will probably publish a public link in the following month.

10. C_Coder

Original Member

Take a look at the Grim API 2D engine that made Crimsonland at www.10tons.org

This seems quite good...

11. ogracian

Original Member

About CDX lib I must add that it is a great lib, I used it as base for my custum engine wich adds support for MMX blends plus MMX Alpha Masked surface in software (ASM).

By other hand CDX use HARDWARE (well DirectDraw dose) for 2D specific funtions like blt for example.

So in overal I really recommend CDX for a simply to use but powerfull engine.

Regards,
    Oscar

12. Slayerizer

Original Member

I'm still hesitating between CDX / Allegro. Allegro seems to be more complete and it also uses DDraw and assembly optimizations.

To say the truth, I'm also hesitating between a 2d and 3d engine.

13. rodent

Original Member

I have been, and still are, hesitating a lot about which 2D platform to use as well. I would like to use BlitzMax, but I am a bit afraid of all the OpenGL issues it would bring. On the other hand basic based syntax and very easy porting to Linux and Mac make it a very tempting option.

14. Evak

Original Member

I'm enjoying Bmax at the moment, Allthough it's moved on a lot since basic and is another beast entirely. A lot of people coming from earlier blitz basic languages are struggling with the new OOP features as its a lot more like C++ now.

15. Vectrex

Original Member

well.. you don't have to use them and frankly only now am I interested in blitz :)