2D game engine with scripting/programming?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by John Cutter, Jan 26, 2012.

1. John Cutter

John Cutter New Member

I'm a pretty good game designer, but a LOUSY coder. (Fortunately, I get to work with professional programmers who are a lot smarter than me.) Still, it's helpful for me to prototype games, ideas, and mechanics and I'd like to find one that is script-based, and not "click"-based.

In other words, I want to write high level code, like BlitzBasic, only I want the convenience of built-in editors and GUI, like those offered in Construct or Multimedia Fusion. Does anything like that exist?

It seems that GameMaker might be my best bet, but from what I've seen so far I will wind up with tons of separate little script files that are kind of a pain to access. And I've been told that there is no "Search and Replace" that works for all scripts.

2. Bmc

Bmc New Member

best bet at this time would be Unity

It's a little tricky to get started with 2D but plenty of people are using it so it's definitely possible.

3. John Cutter

John Cutter New Member

I just looked at Unity and it appears that the 2D is really just constrained 3D. Am I missing something? I appreciate the suggestion but that tool may be a bit above my competence level. ;-)

Flash might work, though I'm not keen on all the vector stuff... and it's so damned expensive.

4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Code-wise I don't think it gets much easier than Blitzmax (which I use). Fair enough there's no point/click whatsoever but I don't believe there's another language that's easier to use (though, I would say that because I use it for all my games), plus as it's been around a few years now there are plenty of resources to look at. I've heard mention of big(ish) companies - whose names currently escape me - using Blitz products to prototype new ideas so I wouldn't rule it out.

5. Nukular

Nukular New Member

I recommend XNA. After ~2 Days with an Openbook in C# you can easily do a nice-looking 2D engine yourself. I also tested Blitz and Unity, but Microsoft Visual Studio & C# seems to be a lot easier. I can give you the URL of a very nice Tutorial if you like to.

6. svero

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Heh, he asked for "built-in editors and GUI". Blitz/Monkey have none of those. You didn't mention the platform so I suppose PC only. I think Gamemaker/Construct2/Stencyl are the best products for what you need.

8. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

All I could think was Gamemaker for an answer. Jacks other mentions are good also.

Depends on the types of game though, 2d is pretty board.

So I'd say you found your best bet with Gamemaker. Nothing you find will be perfect unless you write it for your own needs.

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

TGB/T2D is another option, but you will have to write at least part of it in script. It does have an editor and you can use Torsion for an IDE. I know there are a lot of TGB haters out there, but its a pretty nice engine aside from the occasional bugs and poor docs. You can read more about in on my blog.

10. Greg Squire

Original Member

#10 Greg Squire, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  11. electronicStar

Original Member

Just go with gamemaker already and stop procrastinating.
    Another option, more code oriented would be flash+flixel.
    you can also download Tiled or mappy and use one of the many exporters availables to many languages (provided that your games are tile based)

12. John Cutter

John Cutter New Member

I currently use two tools for game development: Multimedia Fusion 2, and VBA for Excel.

I absolutely love working with VBA because everything is so logical and I can trace through my code to find problems. Best of all, if I need a routine to sort through an array, or a function to search through all the files in a folder, I can find and download this code in only a few minutes. And it's so easy to reuse routines I've already written. Search and replace for the win.

Multimedia Fusion is a great tool but although I've been using it for years I still don't feel like I understand it. At all. Stuff that I think will be hard takes me no time at all. But stuff that should be simple will sometimes take me hours or even days to figure out. (And "figure out" usually means "try different approaches until you find something that works".) I can't really reuse any of my (or other folk's) "code" either.

I'd love to learn BlitzMax, GLBasic or work with some other library or framework. But I need to put together ideas and prototypes fast and I think I would miss the built in sprite and level editors. Do you coders roll your own? Are they flexible enough to use for multiple types of projects?

13. Desktop Gaming

I tend to write my own level editors. They're generally nasty, ugly, unfriendly pieces of work, but that doesn't matter as long as they don't take me much time to create and they get the job done.

As for sprites, I do most of my stuff in Photoshop/Flash.