2D Game Engine Advice

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by wkwkwkwk1, Oct 5, 2017.

1. wkwkwkwk1

wkwkwkwk1 New Member

Greetings!

I have been considering starting an old project of mine, and I'd appreciate your opinion on which game engine to use for it.

Said project is nothing too fancy. I don't want to make the next MMORPG.

At it's theoretical peak, it could be something akin to the isometric games of old - graphically speaking. Gameplay would be rather different from the usual, but only in terms of mechanics. Single-player all the way, too.

So, in terms of graphic capabilities, something capped at 2D or limited 3D is perfectly okay.

Scripting/coding capabilities are a must, but I don't think I know of any engine that doesn't.

Ease of use is naturally a plus, but not a primary point.

The license should be as permissive as possible. I don't know yet what I want to do with this project, but I know I want it to be mine, down to the last line of code. Except the engine maybe. No draconian licenses, no "the game is yours but not quite", and so on. Open source if possible.

I'm not looking for the standard canned answers: Unity 3D, Game Maker Studio, and so on. Those I know of already, but I'm looking to broaden my horizons if possible.

One more thing: game making is a hobby for me. I never directly spent a single cent in any of my hobbies, and I don't want to start now. So, no commercial solutions, please.

Features summarized:
    - Native 2D support
    - Customization options through scripting/coding.
    - License that gives me full control over whatever I might want to do with the game
    - Free

My apologies if the question is poorly worded at some point, or if I didn't provide enough information for proper advice. Feel free to ask me anything; I will answer and update the OP accordingly.

Thanks in advance,
    wkwkwkwk1

2. Bearded Dog

Bearded Dog New Member

I'm developing 2D games.

Of course, choice of engine is a really personal thing - and there will be a lot of different opinions out there. I started using Corona SDK; if you're wanting pure 2D (i.e. not isometric) that is still a really good option. One advantage of Corona is it's really simple - lua is an easy language to learn and the whole platform is low-overhead and easy to get started with.
    https://coronalabs.com

However if you need greater flexibility, I personally would recommend Unity. I switched to Unity about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Despite the "Unity 3D" web address, Unity provides excellent 2D (and isometric, 2.5D) support. It's more complex than Corona and took me a bit longer to get the same result, but there are a ton of assets on the Unity asset store that can accelerate your dev time.

Their licensing model is super-flexible and free (without royalties) if your games company doesn't make more than $100,000.
    https://unity3d.com

3. wkwkwkwk1

wkwkwkwk1 New Member

I'll check it out, thank you! :D

As for Unity, I'm keeping it on the back burner for a couple of reasons, but thank you nonetheless :)

4. Bearded Dog

Bearded Dog New Member

Ok, so now I'm curious. What are your reasons for not going with Unity?

5. OllyOllyBennett

OllyOllyBennett New Member

We're doing 2D in Unreal Engine 4. It meets many of your requirements. Lots of people write it off before even investigating Unreal as a 2D solution, so you may have not considered it yourself.

We did a video recently called Getting Started with Paper2D. Give it a watch and see if you think it may provide you with the tools and power you need. I'll try and take any further questions you might have with it too.

6. Paul Murray

Paul Murray New Member

Godot Engine.
    • Free and open source (MIT) including commercial use
    • No royalties
    • Does 2D and/or 3D or a combination (render a 3D mesh as a 2D game object or example)
    • Runs on Windows, Mac or Linus natively
    • Exports to Windows, Mac, Linux and web/mobile
    • Flexible 'node' system for building and instancing game objects

7. zizulot

zizulot New Member

Game Maker Studio - you can actually make good 2d games with it, but I would go with Unity it takes some time to learn the ropes but when you do, boy its amazing