2d game assets for sale!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GHStanley, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

2d game assets for sale

non-exclusive

#1 GHStanley, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

non-exclusive

#2 GHStanley, Feb 1, 2012
  3. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

non-exclusive

#3 GHStanley, Feb 1, 2012
  4. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

non-exclusive

#4 GHStanley, Feb 1, 2012
  5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You are actually serious about these prices? Custom art would be much cheaper and actually perfectly fit a game's spec.

6. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Really Paul? I don't know, it seems reasonably cheap to me. Haven't really seen anything comparable out there to buy as stock art either, so I'm not sure how you factor in that price.

Either way, GHStanley, I suggest you do some RPG icons. Those are always handy and having a number of different styles would be useful. I'm pretty sure you'd find an audience for them.

7. Applewood

My artist (who is basically a freelance but works with us on a cut) would do that for fifty bucks and it'd be to spec and not look like anything in another game. You seen that bit of grass for a dollar?!? Or the plus shape for a fiver?

The backgrounds are arguably worth it, but they're the least of anyone's problems and again very dependent on the sort of game you're doing.

8. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

Thanks for the advice zoombapup!

#8 GHStanley, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. lennard

I sell a range of RPG artwork - the audience doesn't seem to be huge.

I don't think Applewoods comment is out of line but I'm notoriously cheap (at least in my house) and hard on artists so take it for what it is worth. I do like stock art and audio at the right price as it's great to be able to build decentish mock-ups - I use a lot of $1-5 images from fotolia for this purpose.

All that said, I like your style and hope you make some money. Let me know if you do RPG stuff, I'd be happy to carry it on my site if it matches the style of what I already sell: http://rustyaxe.com/apps/dd/artPacks.php

10. Applewood

Roger, will do. Good luck with the sales...

11. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

haha! ...just kidding man. I see where you have a point.

12. Over00

Over00 New Member

Forums are great. You can say anything and then pretend it was just a joke some minutes later...

Just because I'm naïve I'll still add something constructive here. This kind of non-exclusive assets might find some buyers on http://www.flashgamelicense.com

Like Paul said the price is high for non-specific assets but you'll find plenty of programmers there desperate to get nice art so it might be worth a shot. Cutting the jokes might also improve the sales.

13. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

I said, "save the drama for your momma" how serious could I have been?

Thanks for the link!

#13 GHStanley, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  14. Over00

Over00 New Member

My point exactly. You're trying to sell something. Being serious about it helps to build a relation of trust.

15. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

my views have changed

#15 GHStanley, Feb 2, 2012
  16. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Don't worry, Applewood will survive...

You shoud add a link to your site in your sig. I like some aspect of your art and have bookmark your link in case I get something for you in the future.

JC

17. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

feel free to contact me anytime JC!

18. heavycat

heavycat New Member

Those prices are more than reasonable. Custom art would be ten times that expensive at least.

19. Applewood

I see you're advertising your services elsewhere so I wouldn't broadcast that too loud. I assume that means if I wanted the grass spike with an extra leaf in it and maybe a different shade of green then it would cost me just ten bucks? A custom pentagonal block-fill cloud for only fifty bucks?

If anyone thinks I'm being a dick here then I apologise, but I feel like I've dipped into the twilight zone. I've been contracting top quality art in for years and years and never paid anything like this before.

This is meant to be constructive - if you want to make money selling art to indies, either get faster or cheaper. I would expect a game experienced artist to make a cloud like that in about 15 seconds (ok, as part of a larger job) and charge accordingly.

Where's daydream when you need him. If anyone would consider paying 500 bucks for something similar to that first page, drop me a line and I'll get it done for you for half that.

20. GHStanley

GHStanley New Member

old thread. views have changed

#20 GHStanley, Feb 3, 2012