2D equivelent to Ogre?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Waffler, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Waffler

Waffler New Member

I was wondering if there is an object oriented, hardware accelerated, cross platform 2D game graphics library with scene management, flash style animation along with traditional sprite animation features, and common game objects (such as tile maps, fonts, etc.)

Some might ask, "Why not just make the game 3D with Ogre?" The reason boils down to content creation. It takes less time to create 2D graphics than it does 3D. I'm aiming for a graphical style somewhat similar (though not exact) to Alien Hominid -- which is quickly drawn 2D.

2. mot

mot
    Indie Author

I don't think there is such an engine. AGG is a nice 2D library... but not HW accelerated as far as I know.

What's the problem with using Ogre for rendering 2D graphics? All the texture management, platform abstraction and scene management stuff is there, it is a solid library, should work fine for 2D just as it does for 3D. Just set up the cameras right and start rendering flat things :)

3. whisperstorm

Original Member

Novashell is going to take the gaming world by storm when it gets closer to a final release. Even now in beta form it's pretty amazing. You might check it out as a possibility.

4. spellcaster

Original Member

You should check out Torque Game Builder. It's basically a 2d layer on top of the torque game engine + a lot of tools. Personally, I'm not getting warm with it, but a lot of people seem to be pretty impressed. So, check it out. It might fit your needs.

5. Slayerizer

Original Member

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tgb/

2d stuff is available also in
    http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

6. TimS

Original Member

We've used Ogre for 2D before, and it worked quite nicely...

Plus when you feel like adding 3D effects over the top of the 2D game, you won't have to twist your engine's arm to get there. Handy!

-Tim

7. Lerc

Indie Author

I'm a reinventing the wheel sort of guy. My (really almost done) game does everything in software for reasonable effect but in the future I might do an OpenGL engine. If you post a feature list of what you'd want then I could keep it in mind.

In the last couple of weeks I made an opengl sprite engine for a different project and things went quite well. It's a mix of orthographic 3d models and sprites.

Of course You may not like the fact that'd I'd probably do it in object pascal :)

8. SculptureOfSoul

SculptureOfSoul New Member

You might want to check out the new Cobra language at: http://www.squeakyduck.co.uk/

It features a pure 2D engine, a 2D in 3D engine, and a 3D engine, along with other RAD features. It's sort of the cousin of the Blitz family of languages as it was produced by an ex-Blitzer himself.

As far as i've heard the 3D module isn't out yet but it is finished and will be released soon.

The language is sort of a mix between Pascal/Blitz. Worth checking out the free demo, at least.

9. mot

mot
    Indie Author

What's with the ducks, guys?

Anyway, is there a demo of the "Cobra" language really available? I can't download the one shown on the site, it says my account has no access.

10. SculptureOfSoul

SculptureOfSoul New Member

I'm not sure but I think you have to register a free account there first. If your not keen on doing that you could e-mail Graham K., the developer. He's been quite responsive to my e-mail inquiries.

Oh, I've heard it has native XML support and a built in tilemap engine and such. I don't know if this is true or how well it works as I haven't had time to check out the product myself besides downloading the demo and checking out the IDE for 10 mins.

11. IPv6

IPv6 New Member

Check out http://hge.relishgames.com/
    h-accelerated 2d engine with a lot of published games (don`t look at thier portfolio, it is outdated)

12. Slayerizer

Original Member

I forgot to mention SDL . SDL supports software and hardware (via an opengl extension) 2d functions.

13. Lerc

Indie Author

A number of reasons. the main two...

Almost everyone can spell duck.

Ducks a naturally comedic animal.

So.... Who can name the other four comedic animals?

14. Sharpfish

Original Member

Pig, Monkey, Hippo and Penguin. :)

edit .. change Penguin to Frog.

15. Pyabo

Original Member

Ooooh. Good question. I gotta go with penguin, aardvark, ostrich, and... platypus.

16. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

How do you enable this. I know how to create the hardware surface, but for real speed we need to be manipulating polygons with textures applied. (as in Blitz Max). Possible?

17. ChrisP

Indie Author

You need to use SDL's OpenGL mode to properly take advantage of 3D hardware acceleration. Pass the SDL_OPENGL flag to SDL_SetVideoMode, then just start making OpenGL calls like you would with a plain OpenGL app.

In this mode, SDL handles all the non-graphical stuff (creating the window, handling events, etc.) and leaves the actual rendering to OpenGL.

18. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

Have you ever played around with making a ogl 2d sprite engine? Allot of work?

19. soniCron

Indie Author

I'm using Irrlicht as a basis for a 2D sprite engine. It comes with its own 2D drawing functions, but they don't allow for sub-pixel accuracy, scaling, rotating, flipping/mirroring, etc. I had to write my own method of drawing 2D sprites, but it was a cinch because I'm working with their cross-platform framework.

It's more helpful than SDL because it offers both OpenGL and DirectX support. Also, I utilize its scene-graph functionality, in addition to all the cross-platform window handling, messaging, I/O layering, etc. that would just be a burden to write from scratch.

It's not perfect, but after exploring other options, Irrlicht seems to be the most reasonable investment for my time regarding this 2D-in-3D project. Not to mention that it's very stable and well tested across the two major platforms.

20. ChrisP

Indie Author

Yes, I have done it. In fact, the homegrown engine for my (upcoming) first indie game is exactly that. I wouldn't call it difficult, just time-consuming: you do have to build a lot of infrastructure yourself. Mind you, my choice to write it in a non-mainstream language (the D programming language) also contributed a lot to that.

My main problem is that I'm having issues with certain video cards - particularly integrated brands, like Intel Extreme and S3 Graphics DeltaChrome. Unexplainable crashes when exiting or changing resolution, that sort of thing. I'm hopeful that it's just a driver issue, which upgrading the video driver will solve.

I'm a bit tired of having to reinvent the wheel, so I will be looking for a more comprehensive platform on which to build my next game. Torque 2D looks promising. If I ever make a true 3D game I'll definitely be looking into Irrlicht (and Ogre).