2006 Independent Game of the Year awards [Game Tunnel]

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by cyrus_zuo, Dec 9, 2006.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I agree, that Kudos game is clearly l33t. I can't make any sensible comments about it. I'm far too drunk. Blood Wine and forum posting shouldnt mix.
    Hurrah, I was 2nd!

2. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Sounds like you need a nap on the sofa!

/Kudos joke :)

3. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Cliff is clearly celebrating his recent placement in the GOTY awards ;)

4. yanuart

Original Member

hey.. what'd you know ? my game is Sports GOTY !! but i guess sports game isn't a popular genre with hardly any quality games. This lead me to one question, in the indie scene what's the mainstream genre ?.. is it casual .. rpg.. ??

5. arcadetown

Motorama totally deserves it as it's a great game. Sort of in the Trial Bike genre which was uber popular across the web at one point. Just look how popular TeaGames is which believe is mostly on the power of their motocross style games. Currently one of the most under recognized genres in try/buy games and hope 07 will bring more, like we saw with Sim/Strategy games in 06. (hint... hint...)

6. Fost

Indie Author

A minor point, and I hate to be so pedantic, but this word on the strategy game of the year page is like salt in my eyes:

I don't know why, because I'm normally not so dictionary-concious, but that word seems to have been birthed upon the internet this year like a fetid egg. The sight of it now makes me feel nauseous.

7. Sharpfish

Original Member

Gotta agree, the use of that "word" is right up there with the overuse of 'Comic Sans' in websites and games on my annoyance-o-meter. :p

8. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Seemed like a good description at the time...maybe I should replace it with something like "makes you want to play it over and over" or "may lead to frequent repition in playing" or "cyclical and repeated play cycles are likely to occur with continual and persistent frequency"

:)

Honestly I didn't think anything negative about using the word. Didn't realize there was a phobia of it.

9. electronicStar

Original Member

We already had a whole thread about that...:rolleyes:

10. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

I think he's just suggesting that "addictive" is the correct word, not "addicting".

And yes, I think there's a thread around here somewhere with people arguing about which is the correct word :)

11. cliffski

heh. notable that its all us English guys who it seems to annoy :D

edit: Not sure if that should be 'whom' :D

12. Fost

Indie Author

Yes, just switch it to 'addictive' and everything will be fine in the world. I don't know what's gotten into me over the 'addicting' thing as normally this sort of stuff doesn't bother me. Perhaps as Cliffski says: it's a UK thing. Although I think Americans should be aware that if they use 'addicting' they will sound retarded to us, so they probably should avoid it. ;)

Anyway, I've ended up derailing this thread - apologies, back to the stupendous GT end of Year :)cry: we missed entering it this year by a hair's breadth!!)

13. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

14. cliffski

A well deserved victory for cas :D

15. princec

Indie Author

We survived leverage, so we'll probably survive addicting too :)

Cas :)

16. princec

Indie Author

Bloody hell!

See, we're improving!

This is a good thing because I have a small announcement to make, which is that we're going full-time next year. I'm quitting my job because it's making me unhappy, and the money bedamned. So expect rather more games from us next year :)

17. cybermonk

Original Member

This is great to hear Cas! And indeed a well deserved victory!

Btw it surprises me that still so many of these games don't have a mac version...

18. jankoM

Indie Author

Great Cas... brave words... you know, luck sticks with the brave (or something) :) . I think you just need to relocate to some cheaper country like slovenia. A lot of people from UK are moving into Slovenia in last years (you bought up half of our karst and prekmurje (where land is extremelly cheap also for our standards)).

19. princec

Indie Author

Yeah, I could well come to Slovenia, but Korea is first on my list coz Chaz is going to be there from January. I reckon with the two of us cooped up in a small apartment with nothing but cheap beer and ladyboys for company we'll soon have a raft of games ready. Although they might be a bit wonky.

20. papillon

Indie Author

Can anyone give me an estimate on how long until the US economy collapses so I can move back and buy a home for cheap? :)