14 piece string sweeting sessions $275

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by magates, Jan 2, 2008.

1. magates

Original Member

Dear Composers
    We need to hear from you.

We're curious if there's enough member demand for The Composer Collective to supply regular live orchestral recording sessions.

Would you be interested in reserving 15-minute blocks of a 14-piece buyout string ensemble, at $275/block, for the purposes of "sweetening" your most important synthesized cue(s)?

8 Violin
    3 Viola
    2 Violincello
    1 Contrabas

www.thecomposercollective.com

2. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

---------------

#2 Jesse Hopkins, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. magates

Original Member

We are 40% cheaper than orchestra.net and local to LA. It's kind of hard to beat the deal...

4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

As a developer, I'd certainly be interested in this sort of sound work in certain cases. If a composer was offering this level of quality I could see myself paying a little extra to take advantage. It would be nice in a role playing game for instance. The soundtrack from the original Icewind Dale sticks out in my mind as a good example. Can't recall if the strings there were real or synth.. I think they might have been a real recording.

5. Sean Beeson

Original Member

6. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Sorry, I'm a game soundtrack geek. The soundtrack to Icewind Dale was written by Jeremy Soule and it was synthetic.

Icewind Dale Soundtrack Review at Music4Games

Soule has always fancied himself a film composer but his main credits are games...my favorite of his was Total Annihilation. After that I really didn't dig his glassy detached style. Worked for Oblivion sure, but for Prey or anything else?...eh...

Anyways, I think this is a pretty good deal for composers you got going on here Matt. There are tons who spend money on samples and plugins but to have a real orchestra tracked properly for that price is fantastic!

7. Fastestmanintheworld

Sounds interesting - planned delivery format/number of tracks?

Duncan

8. magates

Original Member

After a number of responses (here, but mainly elsewhere) we are looking at a cheaper option: 7 players (3/2/1/1) for $149 again for 15 minute blocks. We have used these numbers before and it does the job nicely.

An orchestration note about using this orchestra: Usually you need to have the violins play in unison (as opposed to violin I and II) or div a 3 because div a 2 doesn't work too well though it's not completely out of the question on occasion. Having the top 3 guys on the one note makes it sound like "strings" as opposed to a soloist.

Interested composers (or producers for that matter) should email us with your needs (time tables etc) and interest at composercollective at gmail dot com

This will be tracked at a high end studio (pro tools HD etc...) and deliverables will be unmixed, unedited stems - probably 4-5 mics.

Composers might also want to join the composer collective to be notified of updates. www.thecomposercollective.com