10 Ways to Fight Piracy

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by defanual, Apr 11, 2009.

1. defanual

Original Member

Hey all,

Thought it would be a shame for only publishers (who it's originally aimed at) to read / know about this as I think it's as relevant (if not more so) to developers, especially indies, so here's the article in question and I think it's pretty spot on!

10 Ways to Fight Piracy

In addition to that, if you haven't seen it already, you can check out me attempting number 2 on the list (or in short, pimping the dev blog which I know people just love round these here parts :p http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=16305)

EDIT: Oh, and if you like Resident Evil 5, you'll like this even more ;):
    Jim Hensons Resident Evil 5

#1 defanual, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Acord

Acord New Member

There is a historical precedent for this: Privateers! Letters of marque!

3. dlg

dlg New Member

Interesting article, good to read.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Not really interesting, banal and some advice is quite questionable, like 8 (drop prices and you'll only earn less as the giant-scale reflexive "experiment" showed) and 7 - happen mostly if you submit your game to a portal (on many warez sites the "beta" versions of portals games appear 1-2 weeks BEFORE they're released).

5. dlg

dlg New Member

Well, definitely is good to read. Just to make some ideas.

I my opinion, I think we should not worry about pirates. I can tell you that my sister can hardly start a game for kids, not even talking about finding a pirated game. So, basically, not everybody is an advanced computer user. And, whatever protection you do, the game will be cracked in no time, so I found it useless also.

P.S. Happy Birthday!:)

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Number 6 is the real answer.
    I'm bored with trying to persuade developers to do this. Most of you can't be bothered, even though it actually takes close to zero time.
    But I can see 3 people as I type this downloading not-full versions of my games. And that goes on 8-12 hours a day.
    Those same people would already have full copies of any single game on reflexive or BFG.

7. OremLK

Indie Author

Excellent, well-balanced article. Thanks for posting it!

8. defanual

Original Member

I should reiterate that this was originally aimed at publishers, but I don't think he means fixed priced drop like reflexive, I think he means be aware of different markets / budgets and perhaps make different versions for those customers (as is the case with the cpu example), not just the $60 / £50 range (which again is publisher centric) but I could be wrong:eek:

@dlg: Agreed! Is that PS meaning your Birthday? If so Happy Birthday :)

@cliffski: 6 is definitely the best scenario, but a combination of 1-4 and 10 is required I think if your going to get customers to be driven to such lengths, obviously Cliff you've suggested many a time that developers should be doing this themselves, but have you ever be aware of customers aiding in such a manner?

@all: Thanks, glad if it helps one person! If indies improve the experience of their games for their customers, it may create an overall better image of indie games for all of us (at least compared to some retail and non-customer focused games) by creating more trust and better first preconceptions!

9. NielsBauer

NielsBauer New Member

They forgot in their list:

11. Make it online

If the player only downloads a client and needs to connect to a server to play (not as a DRM, but the server has to manage the whole game processing), there is no way to pirate the game. Besides you can add so many cool and interesting features very easily - like a not cheatable highscore table.

Please understand that I am not suggesting this as a DRM. But it´s a nice side benefit of a purely online game and I am wondering why so many people still NOT develop online games. We´re not necessarily talking about massive multiplayer games. Actually a pure singleplayer game with a server/client structure could benefit from a lot additional features and a living game community.

10. Nexic

Indie Author

I was about to say almost the exact same thing as Niels. Take a look at Adventure Quest. It's pretty much single player and is completely immune to piracy. It's not even that hard to do, infact it's a lot easier than doing the other 10 points on the list, and probably 100x more effective.

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes that can work too, even if I can't stand programming in flash :) you think would be ok even for a normal client/server? I mean for flash it's normal, runs in a browser, so players are online. But having a client for a game that is NOT a MMO/MMORPG ? :confused:

12. berserker

Indie Author

I think it will be ok since player needs internet anyway in order to purchase full version.

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

The real answer is not 1, 4, 6, 10 or whatever else. Its the whole list (and only that). Its what i was trying to say every time i was going into these discussions here (and at some point i decided to not enter since i obviously lack the skills to pass my thoughts around).

Ok, i'm not really into the "make the games people will buy" because the games i like are those action flashy games that according to this article are the games tha tend to get pirated and i prefer to make games that i like to play :).

14. Sybixsus

Original Member

You need to reread it then because Number 6 isn't what you think it is. Number 6 tells you to do 1-5, it doesn't tell you to seed your own poisoned downloads.

15. nateistoraw

nateistoraw New Member

$6 is p00wnage, but I would also do some registry checks and shutdown pirates pcs.

16. Bad Sector

Original Member

#2 in action for Zeno Clash:

*here would be a link for Zeno Clash in pirate bay for the torrent titled Zeno_Clash_(2009)... search it in the site :rolleyes:*

See the description and the comments. I've found it from this post in ACE Team's forum where Carlos Bordeu (one of the developers) says:

The message is

17. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

I would like to add my support for point 11.

Developers need to start charging for the service of providing access to the game, not charging for a copy of the content.

This is the only way to prevent people playing your game for free.

Jay.

18. Allen Varney

Original Member

This isn't quite true, speaking strictly from a technical viewpoint; there are pirate shards for several popular MMOs, especially in China. But the larger point here is correct. You can't clone or pirate a thriving community, or at least it's much harder than copying a few files. An online community is a great "product" in itself, though it seems to require constant and careful stewardship.

This is absolutely true!