Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you get Vista? Which version?

Default Will you get Vista? Which version?

I'm probably going to get the Vista Home Premium in the next few months. Not only for testing purposes because I could use the upgrade from win2k.

Do you think anything important to an indie dev is missing from the Home Premium edition?

Will you get Vista? Which version?

I will not be getting Vista in the foreseeable future.
    - Check out Stop That Hero!, a game in which you play the villain for once!
    - GBGames' Blog
    - Twitter: www.twitter/com/GBGames

I am still on win2k... I see no much reason to go to XP... What is Wista?

I'm probably going to get it in the next few months. It comes in the Business version in the MS Action pack which should be due out in a month or so. Of course, I'm going to have to get a new computer to run it on.
    PiddlePup Games, LLC
    www.piddlepup.com
    Games for the whole family!
    Come try out our latest games: Majestic Forest Pirate Poker

Mind you.

At that time I'll get a Linux.

Whatever version comes pre-installed on my new computer. My old computers will not be updating.

I don't think that there is any reason to update to Vista at all. It's not like they provide anything really new.

Having said that, i may buy the Home Basic edition just to test my stuff on it (i'm developing in Linux anyway). But i'll do that only if i hear that a lot of stuff breaks in Vista (and that only after vista has been released to the public ;-)).

For one I'll be able to use my hardware RAID functionality. I'm not able to with win2k thanks to stupid winxp only drivers. (There'll be Vista ones too if there aren't already.)

We will wait to see if any patches come out first.

I'll have to buy it soon to test and tweak my games to run on it, sigh :-(

I'm absolutely sure I'll buy Vista eventually and probably the Home Premium edition, but for now I'm happy with Windows XP.

$400! Prettiness comes at a price

Then why do Vista cost that much? :-p

I only just recently bought XP to put on my Macbook (after being a perfectly content long-time 2k user), so no. And given that the Macbook came with Mac OS X 4 already, Vista's "new" features don't exactly fill me with excitement. Also: crazy system requirements and this ridiculous multi-tiered pricing structure with all the stingy crippled features this entails. What do you mean, no fancy visual scheme in this version? What, no DVD player? Etc.

It's fair to say I haven't exactly been sold on it. But I suppose we will all get it eventually, won't we? Probably all our new computers will come with the el-cheapo version pre-installed, and we will curse that half its basic functionality has been stripped out.
    Anthony
    www.squashysoftware.com
    A slave to the ideal

Well I suppose Ill have to get it for testing games and such, but I'm not terribly excited to have a new OS to deal with. Just a pain really.

I have a few ideas how microsoft might have better spent their time than releasing a new os. Like how about that messenger program being able to split up long text messages and send it as two messages? or make it so that when you transfer a small file using the internet it "just works" instead of popping up 150,000 little messages about firewalls etc... Oh! and here's another good one! Copy and paste. I miss the old days where you could copy text from one program and paste it in another. That'd be good to get that working again...
    Steve Verreault - Twilight Games
    http://www.twilightgames.com --- http://www.indiegamer.com

"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Flack View Post
    But I suppose we will all get it eventually, won't we? Probably all our new computers will come with the el-cheapo version pre-installed, and we will curse that half its basic functionality has been stripped out.
    Actually, I'll still make a point of either building my own machines or buying machines with no OS preinstalled. I don't need to pay for something I won't use.
    - GBGames' Blog

Quote Originally Posted by svero View Post
    Oh! and here's another good one! Copy and paste. I miss the old days where you could copy text from one program and paste it in another. That'd be good to get that working again...
    Wow, when did that functionality break?
    - GBGames' Blog

I'm pretty keen to get a new computer, so I might just wait a while and get one that has vista pre-installed.
    Tiny Frog Software <- Play Caverns of Underkeep a free browser based roguelike!

One other thing that pushes us to move is that especially Microsoft's own software will only be made working on the newest OS (that includes games, though those don't matter to me too much). There's some nice Windows XP only software I can't have because of that.

And of course the first thing I'll do with Vista is turn off all the animated extras and crap to get it as close to the Win95 interface as I can - I don't need 3D windows or funky search options to find my files. I remember the days when my OS fit on a floppy disk (I miss you Amiga!).

There should really be 2 versions of the software. The "Veteran User" version gives you a stipped down but fully functional OS for people who prefer 3rd party software solutions and the "What's a Computer?" version that has all the stupid bells and whistles for people who don't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by KNau View Post
    ... I remember the days when my OS fit on a floppy disk (I miss you Amiga!).
    Speaking of Amiga. The Amiga is back (sort of). Apparently Hyperion Entertainment took it on them selves to finish Amiga OS4. However you still need a no longer available AmigaOne motherboard. (See here for more http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/amigaos4.ars)

I won't touch it... for years. WindowsXP is doing fine.

I won't touch it... for years. WindowsXP is doing fine.
    That's what I did with XP, I was clinging onto my superfast Win 98 PC. However, I had to change in the end as I was getting lots of XP consultancy work so had to figure it out. Same will go for Vista no doubt, and also, like I said, I have to know what my games are like on it...

I've been using Vista Ultimate on my laptop for a few months now, but won't be upgrading my home PC to it for a very long time. WinXP works great and has far, far, far fewer issues.
    Brian Clair
    Director - Stardock Game Publishing
    http://www.impulsedriven.com

I'll be getting the Home Edition pre-installed on a new PC for compatibility work, I doubt I'll upgrade the other development machines until it's absolutely necessary.
    Indiepath Ltd
    "do good things - make money"
    And that is not the general opinion of Indiepath Ltd - etc... legal .... blah..

I just read this article that talks about the dangers of DRM and Vista's hand in enforcing it. http://polishlinux.org/gnu/drm-vista-and-your-rights/
    - GBGames' Blog

I will probably be getting the Windows XP version of Vista ;-)

Here is another article about Vista and DRM; makes for a pretty grim read.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

[edit] which is heavily referenced in the first link, oops
    Last edited by Anthony Flack; 01-25-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    Anthony
    www.squashysoftware.com
    A slave to the ideal

I may have to get it for testing purposes, but I have no intention of using it as my main OS. Linux is filling that role pretty damn well

Quote Originally Posted by svero View Post
    Well I suppose Ill have to get it for testing games and such, but I'm not terribly excited to have a new OS to deal with. Just a pain really.

I have a few ideas how microsoft might have better spent their time than releasing a new os. Like how about that messenger program being able to split up long text messages and send it as two messages? or make it so that when you transfer a small file using the internet it "just works" instead of popping up 150,000 little messages about firewalls etc... Oh! and here's another good one! Copy and paste. I miss the old days where you could copy text from one program and paste it in another. That'd be good to get that working again...
    I'm feeling exactly the same way svero.

Although the one all-time cool Windows "feature" that I'm going to miss is how all of a sudden Windows would try to access the floppy disk drive just because it felt like it.

I really don't understand why there was such a need to confuse the consumer as much as possible by releasing 6 flavours of the damn thing.

We all know the only "usable" one for doing any kind of work will be the highest priced ULTIMATE version...the others are ***.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast