Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Web hosting recommendation.

Default 000webhost

Hi everyone,
    I actually decided to give 000webhost a try, it's free right, so what the heck. After using there services for about 5 days, I can report that they are quite good. Not perfect, but quite good.
    The only thing that bothers me about it is the fact that they do not provide an SMTP server address to send mail from.
    Other than that though, it's legit and works well!

Happy site building,
    RT

I just switched one of my small sites to Liquidweb host. The speed/response time is simply amazing. I should have moved to LW much earlier.

johnson0007

I have read your details.I have created a website but my problem is to host it. I don't know how to host the site. I have tried it many time but I am failed. Have any one good suggestion about it.
    Weekend Getaways From Delhi

I'm another 1&1 customer, starting with just the domain name and upgrading to the basic package some years ago. They've always been excellent, and on the rare occasions something has gone weird on me they've responded quickly and efficiently.
    www.bytten.com - Independent Game Reviews.
    www.indieproofing.co.uk - Independent Proofreading Services.

I have created a site which I want to host so I want to know how to host this site. Has anyone good details about this.
    shimla tour packages
    shimla tour

Quote Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
    I just switched one of my small sites to Liquidweb host. The speed/response time is simply amazing. I should have moved to LW much earlier.
    We switched to Liquid Web 2 weeks ago before Endless Empires launches. It cost me an hour of local support from a server savvy friend and we have been up and running on our dedicated server with no hitches since. I love having the peace of mind that if we have spikes in traffic I only have to worry about code breaking in those weird, only happens once in 500 times sorts of bugs and not about the server lagging just as we get going.

Quote Originally Posted by lennard
    I love having the peace of mind that if we have spikes in traffic I only have to worry about code breaking in those weird, only happens once in 500 times sorts of bugs and not about the server lagging just as we get going.
    This is kinda what I thought when I got my first dedicated machine, of course didn't take long before I was proven wrong. Make 100% sure that the various configs (mysql, apache etc) are setup right for the hardware you have otherwise it could easily perform worse than a VPS in a high-ish traffic situation. And don't forget, the only way to have true peace of mind is to use something highly scalable like Google App Engine.

Thanks for the advice - I'd love to be having the kind of traffic you are. The fundamental difference is that I am making turn based games so my server load is way, way different than yours because I'm responding to single events whenever a user ponders a move and then clicks the mouse. I am planning a zombie map though...

Default I have been using HostDime for almost a year

Quote Originally Posted by Maupin View Post
    I use Godaddy's hosting (Metropolis?) for my shared server stuff. The price is super cheap and I haven't noticed any downtime. Even recently when supposedly they were having problems, my sites were up. However their $20 a year email service sometimes has problems... Once and a while Thunderbird times out after connecting to the server.

EDIT: I have canceled Godaddy's email plan because they now silently filture out spam on all email plans - and you can't turn this "feature" off. After missing a few emails from Asia, I found out they were getting caught in this new spam filter. There's no way to recover these lost messages or even find out how many were lost. This makes Godaddy's email plans completely useless for anyone who can't afford to miss messages.

For the mean time I have switched to tuffmail.com for my mail account. Seems to be working well so far, but it's still too early to recommend them.

I use Hostdime for my dedicated server. Recently they've been fantastic. No downtime and my FreeBSD server hasn't been rebooted in at least a year. However I had a lot of problems when I first started with them (under the Servercove name) so it may be too early to recommend them. For dedicated servers, I'm now of the opinion that paying extra for good onsite tech support is worth it in the long run. There's just such a huge sense of helplessness when your site/server is down and you can't get in contact with anyone or they aren't sending you repair status reports, etc. Liquid Web looks pretty good and I may try them in the future.

I will recommend AGAINST Yahoo for webhosting, however. I registered two domains with them in 2001 and when I finally got tired of their abysmal email service (and customer support) I tried to transfer my domains to Godaddy. Yahoo clutched onto my domains in a death grip and it took 1 1/2 months of back and forth between them and the registrar they use (Melbourne IT), both companies claiming I should talk to the other.... before I got my domains back. I swore never to use Yahoo again and since then I've recommended to everyone that they avoid giving business to those yahoos. They got the last laugh, though, because after I cancelled my accounts with them (a necessary process in their insane domain transfer procedure) they continued billing me and I just discovered it recently, four months later.
    I have been using HostDime for almost a year and am not complaining. I am have none to compare with cz this is new business for me

Hi everyone, just starting out, and this might not belong here, but would a service like LiquidWeb dedicated servers be a good idea for hosting our actual live online game, or should we look into buying out own server? I'd like to avoid that in the beginning if I could, because we have no idea how much we'll be bringing in and also, we live in Ohio, so the internet even at highest tier is terrible.

I know the previous owners of this site used Liquid Web for a while, but I can't speak about it as a game server. I plan on using Linode for my current MMO project (if it ever gets released).
    Bruno Campolo, Bantam City Games
    Invadazoid - My Mediocre Blog - Follow me on Twitter

Since the servers are Linux-based, I'm assuming we would need to know Linux to use Linode? Our game would be Java based, but none of us know Linux as of yet.

I'm in the same boat but it's pretty easy to Google the commands that you needed to get things going.
    Bruno Campolo, Bantam City Games
    Invadazoid - My Mediocre Blog - Follow me on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123