Hi, I’m new to the board and to the profitable game industry in general. I have extensive programming experience (game related and not) and have been making games for quite a while. Now I say I am new to the "profitable game industry" (profitable or not) because I have never publicly released a game mostly because of my lack of artistic talent, i.e. Sprite retarded. I hope to remedy this problem by hiring an artist. Before I do so I wish to ask a few questions (and maybe get some answers...*hint**hint*). Any feedback is appreciated.
1. I'm mostly interested in high quality 2D sprite work. How do artist usually get paid? Per sprite? Per sheet? Per character?
2. On average how much is a reasonable fee.
3. How the money is usually transferred? Snail mail? Paypal?
Thanks for your time.
Speaking for myself:
Originally Posted by Code_wizard
1. I usually pay per project with breakdown per character or per set.
2. My range is $10-$20 per hour, and rarely: $25-$35/hr if it is a special project, very urgent, or factor in bonus. Price depends on skill, previous work experience, and communications.
Hope this helps!
Thanks for the input, anyone else have comparable data?
SteveZ, about how long would it take to finish a character set. This info would be really helpful. (I'm trying to get an estimate of the cost of all the sprites I need.)