Thread: How much does a 3D model cost?

Default How much does a 3D model cost?

Hi,
    I am looking for a cartoon character for my next game. Style Animal Crossing. I need a cute cat character between 600-800 polys + textures + skinning (not the rig). How much does this kind of stuff cost? I need to get an idea before I accept a contract.

thanks

JC

I'm no expert, so don't kill me if you make a bad decision based on my advice - but it depends on several factors. 3D models can cost from nothing, all the way up to thousands of dollars (<-- O_O).
    If you want a quality, high-detailed model, obviously it is going to cost more.
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe models also cost more when the artist includes the texture and rigging.
    I suggest taking a look at http://www.turbosquid.com/ before making any contracts. They have some free models () and other high quality models that are paid-for.

Yeah it all depends but as an example Dyno Kid with 4 way animation cost me &#163;200 ($400) if i remember correct and would of taken 8-10 hours to do.

Darren.
    Last edited by Dyno Kid; 11-10-2006 at 09:05 AM.

I don't want to come off as an asshat, but Dyno, you may want to tone down your banner. I just ad-blocked you because it's gigantic and attrocious.

I think that this isn't "his" banner, but the artist's that made Dyno Kid...

or else i wouldn't imagine how this model could cost $400...

Ok Ass banner gone,

Just wanted to show what you get for your money ass.

Darren.

Thanks Dino for the information.

I was wondering if some artists could give me a quick quote for the mesh I described above.

JC

Do you have concept art? If not, it's likely to be a more expensive job. It's more work when the artist doesn't have a precise piece of concept art to work from.

Well, I work from concept of my self as am full profile artist
    And to me, is not much more work to do my own concept, or from my own mind directly. (I don't necesarily need to trace over drawings; done so at companies for being required by bosses...sometimes.)

I don't know. That depends on the number of polies, the complexity level said as mentioned. I've worked at that in game companies. And also, animation tends to be quite time consuming. So by all means, the number of animations, do have much to say on the quote.

But I personally wouldnt go over the thousand. It varies a lot on what is required. A plain low pol model can be as low as 100$ if non animated and very simple. There are too many factors to be asked to the person paying.

(anyway I understand what Sybixsus means...many modelers wont move a finger without a concept...)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno Kid View Post
    Yeah it all depends but as an example Dyno Kid with 4 way animation cost me £200 ($400) if i remember correct and would of taken 8-10 hours to do.

Darren.
    What art in Dyno Kid cost $400? The main character, or all of it?
    Peter Young | www.attitudegain.com | Linkedin | Twitter

Projects:
    Meridian 59: Evolution
    ???
    ???

Ok here is a breakdown,

I had no concept art so the artist had to do everything.

For approx £200 i got main character with 4 way animation 8 hours work.

A background 800x600 (i didnt use it in the end but it was a good quality)

6-8 background tiles 40x60 like grass rocks bridges etc

but more important imo was the great advice i got from an industry pro as this was my 1st ever game and i had a lot to learn.

Hope this helps,

Darren.

I'm always checking out what ican get for what amount. I'm not yet stuck to one modeller and thus always seeking new partners. I see prices going from rediculess low to extreme high, also on this board.

Mind you, it must relate to your needs. If you want quality it costs, but again, you can also pay too much for too little.

Some will charge you 30$ for a model+uv+texture and other will charge you 1000$, the question is, can you live with the 30$ model and most likly the problems which the unexperienced modeller grant you . If you want turnkey solutions, go for better more pro and experienced modeller. If you can live with quality not being steady you can go try an inexperiencedm modeller but if your ready to go and want just professional and timely execution then the money saved wont be a good investment.

A fair range to expect to pay for this artwork would be anywhere from $750 - $1,500. I would not consider hiring anyone who would do the job for less because they are most likely underqualified. At the low end of this spectrum you will get yourself an inexperienced, but hopefully talented, newbie artist, or a really desperate professional who is out of work. At the high end you will get a professional artist with a couple of years of game development experience and hopefully a couple of years of freelancing experience as well, who is sympathetic to the indie cause and willing to discount his regular rates.
    High-quality graphics that attract players, enhance gameplay and increase sales!
    WWW.ALLIED-STUDIOS.COM

$1500 for a 600-800 poly model, UV mapped and textured? According the description I'm seeing, no animation and no rigging? There's no way that's more than two days work for an experienced artist, assuming it comes with at least a basic concept sketch. The artists I've worked with have produced high quality models with more detail than that in a day.

If $1500 is the going rate for one to two days of work, I'm *really* glad I'm doing most of my own art.

I truely believe you get what you pay for (similar to erik), but i also believe you dont need retail quality when testing and experimenting. I dont pay a quality guy a dime, if im not 100% sure of specs. then rather have a cheaper guy help me find my specs in preproduction and bring in the big cannons when specs are 100% locked.

As for general salerys for fulltime employees, i was surprise to hear that inhouse floorworkers at ubisoft get 2000-2500$ full time per month in canada. Despite ubisoft is known to be the cheapest of cheap when it comes to salery, but its a good reference count for lower bounds for "full time professional"

Actually, you can't compare very safely a job worker salary with a freelance. There are too many extra factors (risk, etc) to consider.

Btw, for a textured model like this, well, if you go doing a dirty fast job, I imagine you can charge 100$. BUT... I am used to see customers tend to want changes, tend to want remakes,(I am not criticizing) or simply, they go wishing more and more, and if not very detailed written arrangment was made, the thing grows.This happens maybe to 50-70% of the customers. Preventing that, I wouldnt charge less than 300-400$ for a work like this(if it's a friend, and I know he wont bug me, maybe less,but gotta be very sure...). In the past, I found my self reducing the cost(lowering the price) for a work that finally took me like half of the hours I expected.Just cause I felt better doing so.

Erik, I have those 2 years of game art making experience, and actually several more, and in several platforms, and yet so I've seen my self lowering prices as low as 100$...For stuff others usually charge 1000$ for. Yup, call it royal need of money, and also of starting some market. And I don't consider myself poorly skilled

If changes are asked for, or improvements, miscomunication, etc, you at the end of the day have done a work that doesnt worth your hours, specially thinking of making stuff for other person(even not graphics), or just oil painting (were one just does a picture and puts a price, end of the story.) would have brought simply the fair money per hour.(oil painting, much more)

All these risks wont happen to be as a salary worker. Yet tho, imo is a *way* worse life than the freelance one. You may have issues with paying flat bills, you may be worried every month if u'll be able to end it up yet eating food... But your free to choose your customers, to take your route.
    Having no boss , is reason enough.

I've come to an intermediate solution, part time worker at non games company(work as a gfx designer/tech guy). And doing a long personal project with a very great friend of mine. Taking some small stuff in the meantime to grow the very low income.

But one can't compare my situation with for example Erik's, probably the best or one of the 3 or 4 best artists here (if he's only one guy) fully depending on this source of income(even more if he has to pay other artists, that'd go at the ceiling and higher, but then he can fill every need..), instead of taking as extra little gain. BTW, IMO, there's room for many type of quote. And I think every coin wasted in an artist of that quality is well used.
    (no, am no friend of erik.Just happen to like his work (but I also like mine, heh ))

Hi.

I find the project interesting.

Recently I just finished my contract with New Crayon Games for their second game.

I would like to express my interest for the project.

Here’s what I can do:
    http://www.cabertevon.com/Sample/sample.jpg

Definitely, I can provide your needs.

Please check your inbox for my price quote for each model.

Best,

Von
    Last edited by cabertevon; 11-12-2006 at 08:24 PM.