Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 2006 2D Sprite Render Test

Default c++ and d3dxsprite

i'm not sure if anyone tried this using the d3dxsprite class, so here is one (103Kb):

http://www.adurogames.com/misc/aduro...rendertest.zip

with 2000 sprites, i get 289 fps fullscreen, 255 fps windowed.

1.66 core duo
    radeon x1400

Default PopCap Framework Sprite Tester

Here it goes:
    http://www.cubic-games.com/public/Po...riteTester.zip

Implemented the tester using latest PopCap frameworka and I'm not very imressed:

For 2000 sprites:
    Windowed (without rotation): 37
    Windowed (with rotation): 35
    Fullscreen (without rotation): 61
    Fullscreen (with rotation): 39

On AMD Athlon 2500+, GeForce4 MX 440

Could you test it on your machines and post your opinions here?
    PuzzleUniverse.com - Portal dedicated to puzzles | Puzzle Websites Directory

Hi aduro - Your test fails to run on my Intel Extreme Box. All other tests work fine. Also, please state which DX version it's using, thanks.

Hey Rubs - Thanks for adding a PopCap Framework test. Works great on my Intel Box. Getting 49fps in full screen mode with 2000 sprites which puts it near the top of the list on my box at least.

"I'm not very imressed.." I am! I've never used PopCap, but if the frame work is at a fairly high level, combined with good rendering speed, sounds like a winner to me.

Ctrl+Alt+D (enables debug info), then use F3 to Toggle frame rate display.
    Why on earth use this kind of key combinations? I have hot keys installed in Windows and that one brings up my DOS box, I don't feel like changing it to be able to see the frame rate in your program. You seem to have vsync() on anyway so it's always 85 fps for me.
    Mike Wiering
    Wiering Software - http://www.wieringsoftware.nl/

Sorry man, I've used PopCap's internal FPS measurement and these keys are hardcoded. Didn't mean to make any harm . Hmm, I turned VSync off with my own err... keyboard. I wonder if it's happening because the framework uses time-based animation, but then you should be stuck at 100 fps (that's their default update speed).

Default Game Maker version

http://www.radiangames.com/SpriteTestGameMaker.zip

Two versions. 1 is using objects, 2 is using the built-in particle system (which only has random color per particle, so everything is the same alpha with variable brightness instead).

Controls:
    ESC - quit
    F4 - toggle fullscreen/windowed
    F - toggle FPS/sprite count
    Arrow keys - Add/subtract sprites

Sorry about the large EXE size, but that's about as small as a GM game gets. Should be DX 8.1.
    Last edited by radian; 06-30-2006 at 07:21 AM.
    Luke Schneider - Volition Inc.
    Rainbow Wars

Tried the GameMaker test.

34 fps both in Windowed and FullScreen mode for 2000 sprites. AMD Athlon 2500+, GeForce4 MX 440.

Two drawbacks found:
    1) When you switch to other app (even if the window is not visible) rendering process still continues and eats all CPU power. While PopCap pauses all its processes and thus does not load the system when out of focus.

2) It seems that GameMaker uses simple window size change and putting it on top of other windows for full-screen mode. I.e. does not use "real" full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubs
    1) When you switch to other app (even if the window is not visible) rendering process still continues and eats all CPU power. While PopCap pauses all its processes and thus does not load the system when out of focus.
    Oops. That can be fixed. I'll let you know when I get a new version up (probably the same time as the particle version).

EDIT: Ok, both versions included in new zip above, hopefully with the problems Rubs noted fixed (note new URL). The particle-version is only marginally faster on my machine at work.
    Last edited by radian; 06-30-2006 at 07:18 AM.
    Luke Schneider - Volition Inc.
    Rainbow Wars

Nothing distracts programmers faster than a performance test feeding frenzy.

i used the dx9 libs from the latest directx sdk. if you run it with '> console.log' you'll get some success/fail test output. i just ran it on an intel graphics chip, it works if you have the latest directx.
    Last edited by aduro; 06-30-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Still waiting on those Torque2D numbers.

I'll try and do one up tonight.

Basically I'll try and get it 800x600x32, 50 Sprites to start with, Hit "A" to add 10 sprites, Hit "R" to remove 10 sprites and Hit "F" to show the FPS. If I get time I'll try and add some of the cool things that TGB comes stock standard with, like particle effects, physics and collision detection, but don't hold me to that :-P

Ok here it is. A Adds sprites, R Removes Sprites. Debug banner is on with object totals and FPS as well as other info. Total code time 2 hours cause I am slow. I also hope that everything is cool from an EULA point of view, pretty sure I deleted all the uncompiled code.

Alt-Enter for Full Screen and Alt-F4 to quit if your mouse is dead.

Sprite Test - TGB App

EDIT - Forgot to mention on my machine with 2000+ Sprites I get about 100 - 150 FPS.

AMD 3400+
    Raedon x800
    4 GB RAM
    Last edited by Screwball; 07-12-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Hi Screwball and thanks for the T2D test!

I had to edit the "pref.cs" file in the "preferences" folder to make it run at 800x600x32.

First off the sprites flying around are 10x10. I'm assuming they're being scaled down at some point in the code. I don't know T2D script, but this is probably not a fair "apples to apples" test based on the other tests I have run.

On my standard test machine with 2000 sprites in the T2D demo, it is running at 20-25fps. I'm sure all that debug info is taking a hit as well. Anyway to turn it off?

I'd like to see an update where it runs in 800x600x32 with 32x32 sprites, and no debug info, just frame rate and number of sprites displayed. Is that possible?

I am fairly sure, without looking at the code, that I created the SceneWindow at 1024 x 768, so when I get home tonight I'll make that change.

TGB is a little different from programming in other languages. Everything in TGB is implemented in it's own, controlled world space. This allows TGB to effectively scale things up and down as a user's resolution changes internally so you never have to worry about it. Down side to this is you can't really get pixel perfect movement etc.

The debug banner is a simple on/off style function built into TGB so I am assuming I can rip the framerate and object variables out of that. I used the debug banner because it was a lot easier than actully displaying frame rate by itself. I'll try and set something up tonight to be a more accurate test.

I've update the zip fileand loaded it here:

Sprite Test

It was basicly too hard to try and rip those values out of the debug banner, and I'm not sure it's overhead is that great anyway. This version should be closer to 32x32 sprites at 800x600 res.

Edit- BTW 1 turns on debug banner, 2 turns off debug banner
    Last edited by Screwball; 07-14-2006 at 02:22 AM.

Did no one try a Flash version, just for laughs?

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all who participated in this thread!

And for making it the most viewed thread in this forum section.

This was a really great thread, so I stuck it.
    Dan MacDonald
    a prisoner of the cause

Quote Originally Posted by Rubs View Post
    Tried the GameMaker test.

34 fps both in Windowed and FullScreen mode for 2000 sprites. AMD Athlon 2500+, GeForce4 MX 440.

Two drawbacks found:

2) It seems that GameMaker uses simple window size change and putting it on top of other windows for full-screen mode. I.e. does not use "real" full screen.
    He just coded it badly. It does have the ability to do both of those things. If he uploads the source I can adjust it to do both of those (I'm a user of Game Maker as well).

EDIT: His links seems to be dead as well.

If there's still enough interest, I can code my own GM version of this. But this looks like a pretty old thread so I don't know if anyone would care. Also, ALL of the links are now dead, so there's no real way to compare it anymore. It's too bad, because I'm curious how GM compares to the other engines.

Default The 2006 2D Sprite Render Test

I have another question involving views. Is it possible to move the object sprite during the process of animation? For example in Colonels Bequest there are the Armoires that pull out but using the original graphics they do not fit properly To low after the first couple frames.

Thanks for any help provided, hope im not asking to many questions.

-Gargin-
    Гибкое радиоуправление светом: умный дом оборудование. Говорящий Умный Дом GLASIS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234