Monstrumo - java FPS
I always wanted to create 3d worlds in computer. So I started to develop my 3d engine in java ( with lwjgl library for openGL/openAL). It was initially developed for RPG, but I wanted to "see it in action", so I made - lets say - first level of FPS game based on it.
In Monstrumo, a player takes role of an unfortunate character that was turned into zombie with powerful voodoo magic. The story is connected with an isolated islands. In order to regain his human state, a player needs to steal life essence from other beings, so he attacks pirate nests in search for his humanity. This «life essence» is shown in form of gold you collect. There are other zombies around on island, so things are more difficult for you.
EDIT: Screenshots URL:
You can play Monstrumo immidiately via webstart (Mac/Linux/Win):
or download exe (Win only):
Last edited by hvor; 12-27-2005 at 06:52 AM.
The screenshots doesn't work. I'm always getting redirected to a web hosting page to sign up.
I don't know why is that happening. I Just tried it and it seems OK. Did you try to see screenshots on game pages then?
Doesn't work for me either. Crappy free hosting grumble grumble.
Bah! It really won't work now... If I can be so free to attach one random screenshot for now...
I think I could download the exe...One question...How you did the exe?
I am very curious about it, because as far as I know , you can only develope -for example with jme engine- with java if you force the user to download the JRE, or include it full in installation... Unless you use jet excelsior, but not sure even if I was told that it wont be possible so, soon, for I think , new sun license issues...I am not a coder, but part of a group, and kind of highly interested in it...
One is able to make an exe out of game jars. There are few free tools for that job available and I used launch4j or jsmooth. Since my game in 3,6 MB "heavy" I didn't want to include jre in package (approx 15MB). So only requirement for playing my game (java game) is JRE installed (1.4+). If you want to provide end user with your local jre, I think you are not allowed to cut it - you have to provide all of it (all 15 MB).
It doesn't run on my linux system, because you assume that OpenAL context creation goes well and calls an OpenAL function. You shouldn't assume that the sound system could be created, but the real reason it fails here is that my system is ALSA only (SUSE 10) and the bundled libopenal.so is apparently only compiled with OSS support.
I'm sorry to hear that. Previos people that tested Monstrumo on Linux didn't have such issues. I have to give myself some time to really understand what you wrote, since i am not linux expert (maybe not even an amateur, for that matter )
Since I have problems with direct link to my screenshots on free hosting server, here is the page with all of them: