Feedback Requested: Angels 20
My friend and I have been working on this game for a couple of months, and we are planning on entering in the IGF as a student entry in about 2 days. We want to know what you guys like or dont like about it so that we can (hopefully ) fix it before the deadline this tuesday.
So if anyone is interested, please download the beta demo here.
We'd love to know what you guys think, so please let us know!
Screen Shot 1
Screen Shot 2
Screen Shot 3
Screen Shot 4
Screen Shot 5
Note: We have no idea what the minimum system requirements are, sorry
Nice start! Kind of reminds me of a choplifter/defender hybrid. I like the idea behind it and I think it could be a lot of fun but right now it's too difficult for a few reasons:
I crashed... a lot. I never got better than taking half of the tank's health away before kissing terra firma. The only time I took out a tank was when I crashed into it.
controls- the keys are too spread out. Also jet/hover toggle is listed as ctrl but shift seems to be the right key. Also, you seem to be limited to only two keypresses at any moment. And because the jet moves so fast you have two options when attacking targets 1) fire while going slow but having no way to adjust your aim 2) fire while going "normal" speed and have ~2 seconds to shoot at the target before you have to pull out or slam into the ground.
Suggestion: Allow the speed to be throttled. Right now if I let go of the down key the Jet snaps right back to normal speed. Let the up/down keys reduce/increase the speed and let it remain like that till changed. If I slow down, I want to stay at that speed until I hit the up arrow to increase my speed back up. That will allow me to control my speed, aim at my targets and fire all at the same time.
AI - wow they're accurate! I don't think they ever miss. I mean ever! From all the AI books I've read it states that generally the AI's first shot should always miss. That way it gives the player the illusion that the AI isn't "cheating". Not saying you need to take that approach but having them miss a little more often I think would give them a less "computer perfect" feel. And having them be able to shoot you while you're sitting on your carrier... that's just mean. I know the carrier will repair the damage but it really feels like you're getting slammed with absolutly no protected base. Maybe you can make them ignore the jet while it's sitting on the carrier?
Health - Having damaga AND fuel seems like a double whammy. Especialy considering how fast your fuel seems to drop and the super accurate enemies. I'd say have a dramatic reduction in the rate that the fuel drops and/or damage.
Sounds - not too crazy about them. The Jet's gunfire sounds a lot like Dirty Harry firing his 357 magnum. Overall the sounds are servicable but I don't think you guys put as much work into them as you did the rest of the game.
Bottom line - I think you guys are real close to a very fun game here. Unify the controls (or make them user selected); make the AI a little less perfect; make it a little less hard to end up dead (slower movement ease up on damage & fuel usage) and if you have the time spruce up the sound effects and you have a game that I could lose some serious productivity time with!
Not sure if this is too late.. but I've tried the game.
Looks like it could be a really fun game.
I agree with dustin here.
Here are my comments
- In general, the game is too hard. Let the player have some fun!
- The enemies are too accurate and they do too much damage.
- The plane should be able to take more damage.
- It seems displaying half the screen as the ocean (blue) is pointless, as the plane only flies in the air and all the enemies are on the ground, not underwater. If you display less of the ocean, it will also give more space for flying the plane without needing to scale.
- You give too small amount of weapons for each reload! I find it very boring to fly halfway across the screen to reload all the time. It wastes the player's play time. Right now it seems each loadout is enough to kill only one or two enemies. You should give maybe about 5 times more of each weapon! As I said, let the player have some fun.
- The default machine gun seems useless
- Maybe the plane should fly a little slower, so the player has more time to line up his shot.
- Maybe you could change the scale of things to make things bigger, more interesting. Slowing the plane down might be able to offset the effect.
- The keys should be configurable.
- The sound is irritating.
Cool idea!!! what about doing a mobile version?