Thread: Discipline Crossover

Default Discipline Crossover

Hello all,

From an indie developer standpoint, how far does one go in order to get sound/art in a game? I guess what I'm trying to find out is, do developers actively seek out help for stuff they might not be so strong on, or do people tend to rely on people unsolicited offers?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,

I think the first thing you'd do is take a look through the art/sound portfolio forum and see if there's anyone there who works in the style you're after and is affordable and available - also go to other sites where artists and musicians might advertise and see who's around. If you can't find what you're looking for, then it's time to start asking around - put up your own ads on those sites, ask other devs whose games have a similar style to what you're aiming for. You won't get much help by sitting back waiting for people to come to you.

Hi Shaz,

Thanks for the reply. As it goes, I'm not a Dev but a composer and sound designer. I've been putting up ads for my services in various forums and communities, but it strikes me that there seems to be more sound guys than devs looking for sound guys. What I was trying to find out (in a clunky, round-the-houses sort of way) was: Is that enough?

Do I need to start directly approaching dev's if I see that they're working on a interesting project that I think I might be able to help or is that not the done thing?

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMovement View Post
    Do I need to start directly approaching dev's if I see that they're working on a interesting project that I think I might be able to help or is that not the done thing?
    Do it! It doesn't hurt; maybe they'll keep your contact and they may consider you for their next project. You never know!

Get involved in the conversation, network--people don't have to try to find audio, anyone in the world can think of a musician they know or someone with musical talent--music is a part of human biology--your job is to become the person they think of when they want someone who can produce great content.
    - Dan

Composer

Thank you both for the replies and good advice that I shall put to use immediately.
    Hidden Movement Music - http://www.hiddenmovement.co.uk
    @HidMovMusic