Thread: Need help - A bug on the forum has been there for more than 13 months.

Default Need help - A bug on the forum has been there for more than 13 months.

I am writing concerning a bug that prevented me from posting to the forums for more than one year. At the moment of writing, I am writing from another account. That is the only way to contact anyone here.

I already wrote concerning this problem more than one year ago. Although I got some suggestions from a couple of members, I have never got any answer from the forums' contact form where I also sent support requests many times.

I also contacted a moderator last year for the same problem. He replied to me. After some research on his side, he told me that it was probably a problem with the PHP installation. Unfortunately, he could not do anything to fix the problem. It seems that only the administrators are able to fix the problem. How do you contact the administrators? It seems they are not really reachable and do not follow what is going on the forum.

Here is some information about the problem's symptoms.

Once logged in, when I click on the links "[my username]" or "My Profile", I got the follow text. I also get this message if I try to contact a member.

[my username], you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You are a newly registered member and still under the enforced 48 hour lurker period. So take it easy, read some threads and get familiar with the community and the resources posted here. If you need access sooner (someone talking about your company and you want to represent yourself?) send a Private Message to one of the forum administrators.
    2. You are trying to post to one of the Announcement/Feedback/Portfolio forums and are still a probationary member. Probationary members need to have been a member for over 30 days and have more than 10 non-announcement posts to be promoted from probationary status.
    3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    4. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Another symptom that is strange is a text in the Inbox. There is also a large red bar. The numbers do not seem to match!

"Inbox contains 6 messages. You have 16 messages stored, of a total 0 allowed."

Is there any hope to recover the account? Based on all the steps I have taken, I seem to understand there is no technical support for the forum.

Is there anyone here who can provide some help?

One of our members, Bruno from Bantam City Games (http://forums.indiegamer.com/member....antamCityGames) was I believe given higher level access a few months ago so that he could help with the constant flood of spam that was destroying the forums.

Perhaps PM him and see if he can help.

Stropp is right, Bruno can probably check into the issue now that he has access. The original forum owners are from what I can tell, too busy to monitor the forum.
    http://maximumarcadestudios.com A new forum for Indie Developers

Thank you for the suggestions. I have just sent a message to Bruno. If other people have any suggestion, it might still help.

Admin

Ok, you should be all set. Let me know if it still doesn't work.
    Bruno Campolo, Bantam City Games
    Invadazoid - My Mediocre Blog - Follow me on Twitter

Thanks Bruno! It seems to be working perfectly. The only thing that I don't know yet is about the thread subscriptions for the forums. I'm subscribed to all forums and I have to see tomorrow if I receive the email notifications about the new and updated threads. About 14 months ago, the first symptom I saw was not receiving the notification emails I used to receive. Then, I could not even post. For the rest, it's all perfect.

I'd like to suggest a feature for the support. It's sad not to receive any support especially when we write an email to the support (Contact Us link on the site). I guess this page is meaningless. I understand that the administrators don't have the time, but this forum deserves support. Maybe a support email should redirect the support inquiries to volunteers.

Thanks again. Great job done quickly!