Thread: click & pop removal in audio tracks

Default click & pop removal in audio tracks

I'm cleaning up a spoken word audio track and am finding Audacity's built in click removal to be woeful. Should not be hard to do - silence broken by a ms or two of sound which is too short for useful information of any kind...

Anybody know of a great audio editing tool which does a good job of this?

'fraid not. In my experience they're fairly hit-and-miss.

How much noise are we talking? Is it not feasible to clean it up manually?
    Crime Solitaire 2: The Smoking Gun PC | Mac
    Dr Mal: Practice of Horror PC | Mac
    Crime Solitaire PC | Mac | iOS

It is but I'm sometimes doing a couple of hours for my wife (One Acre Audio) when she is swamped and that is really laborious and unnecessary when a machine can do it. I suspect I could write something that could parse a .wav file and look for really short chunks of noise but there has to be a program that already does it.

Well... you could try Goldwave - http://www.goldwave.com - don't know whether it's any good but it won't cost you money to find out.

I used to use GW a lot and downloaded it yesterday - Audacity has a much nicer UI. Anyhow, I couldn't get GW's click remover to do any better than Audacity's. I'm going to send Audacity an email and see if there is anything I'm missing but, from what I've read online, it's likely not very good at click removal. That's a shame because otherwise Audacity is pretty good.

Well your only other option (that I know of) would be Sony Soundforge: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ls/audiostudio

There's a free trial but the full version costs about $60. I'd suggest that if a company like Sony can't deal with noise removal, then nobody can.

Just tried the demo version and can't see a click removal tool. A tutorial online shows somebody manually scrubbing so I don't think I'm missing anything.

I have to say I'm really surprised here as this seems pretty basic to me. In fact, of the three tools, the free tool, Audacity seems the most full featured. I'll revive this thread if I do find something to automate the job.