Thread: Screen resolutions

Default Screen resolutions

What happens if you tell direct x to run a window in an unsupported mode in full-screen on a laptop?

Like.. suppose you have a game that runs fullscreen at 1920x1080 and doesn't automatically scale down or list adapter modes etc... And you just make that window and tell direct x to full screen it on a laptop that supports a maximum resolution less than that. What's the result?

I ran a 16x9 app that was too large on a macbook and it seemed to handle it gracefully and just scale everything down. What magic is this? Where is it happening? Vid card driver? a feature of dx? the os?

What SHOULD I be doing if anything if my res is larger or unsupported?
    Steve Verreault - Twilight Games
    http://www.twilightgames.com --- http://www.indiegamer.com

"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to. - Oscar Wilde

I am always running at main desktop resolution. Then scale my game to fit the actual screen. This way, you never have problems. Up to you to stretch or add bars (if in 2d).

JC

Quote Originally Posted by jcottier View Post
    I am always running at main desktop resolution. Then scale my game to fit the actual screen. This way, you never have problems. Up to you to stretch or add bars (if in 2d).

JC
    you will have problems doing that if the user has a really crappy system and can't allocate enough resources to create the screen. I've heard of it happening but admittedly it's not that common.
    Dr Mal: Practice of Horror PC | Mac
    Crime Solitaire PC | Mac | iOS
    Magicville: Art of Magic PC | Mac
    Desktop Gaming Ltd | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Desktop Gaming View Post
    you will have problems doing that if the user has a really crappy system and can't allocate enough resources to create the screen. I've heard of it happening but admittedly it's not that common.
    Never heard ever ever ever of this problem... Despite all my games doing this. But more importantly,BFG is also doing this for their 1st party games (downloaded millions of time). On the other hand, I heard/had loads of problem trying to create non-default screen res in fullscreen. So, I rather use my technique

JC