Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In 2013 I will...

35 is getting uncomfortable, and we've had a week of 35+ lately with one day getting to 45C.
    Then come to Rio... we managed this year to achieve nothing less then 49 degrees!!

Thank God now is cooler, on our usual 32-35 :P

Quote Originally Posted by SLotman View Post
    Then come to Rio... we managed this year to achieve nothing less then 49 degrees!!

Thank God now is cooler, on our usual 32-35 :P
    I'd love to visit Rio. When my ship comes in...

At risk of starting a certain type of contest, there's a town here called Oodnadatta that up to a few days ago hadn't had a day below 40 all year, and had several days over 50. Apparently the weather bureau has added a new color to their temperature range because this is becoming normal... sigh.

Perhaps my resolution needs to be to keep cool...

Half way!

A quick (possibly grim) reminder to my fellow indie game developers.
    More than half of 2013 has passed.
    I hope you are well on track to your 2013 goals.
    If not... work harder!

Bram

PS: For me personally, I have made a lot of progression, and should hit my goals. Only the twitter follower count is lagging, so if you feel like it: @BramStolk

grim is an understatement... I guess that's what I get for only working 5 hours a week on game development :/
    Bruno Campolo, Bantam City Games
    Invadazoid - My Mediocre Blog - Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BantamCityGames View Post
    grim is an understatement... I guess that's what I get for only working 5 hours a week on game development :/
    5 hours a week!?!! I DREAM of 5 hours a week!?!! :-(
    Iain Key - Blog - Twitter - LinkedIn - Facebook
    All Out War: 4025 - Ferion - Hail of Bullets Software

Well, it's been a close shave... Too many unexpected problems with my main client's project, so that basically has to be put on hold for now. I have to move on.

I've considered more contract work, but there's a lot of overhead, and either low pay or too high risk.I have two kids and live in the wrong part of the world, so I need to make (relatively speaking) ridiculous amounts just to pay the bills. The "right" kind of contract work can pay really well, but it's too unpredictable. Can't have that as a main source of income.

On the upside, I may have found a really nice local job! So, chances are I'll soon have a proper income AND some time for game development. Wasn't planing on ever having a full time job again, but the current situation is just a complete waste of time. I'd even be better off completely pausing game development for a year or two, saving up for a restart budget.

Pro tip: Don't finance game development with contract work, unless it's predictable stuff, or you can charge by the hour at all times.
    David Olofson - Free/Open Source developer and aspiring indie game developer
    Olofson Arcade
    http://olofson.net

I feel your pain David, I've been there and it's not easy :-(

For me everything is still possible I guess... but I am not working on my games as much as I should be doing right now...

How did everyone pan out in 2013?

I was off the map in 2012 but did release two projects in 2013. They were not picked up by any commercial portals nor publishers so they're hanging out on my own website. A third project is in the works but contract work has pushed it for a 2014 release.

Failed spectacularly, thanks in no small part to a game that was due to be finished February 2013, STILL not being finished due to lack of artwork. This had a knock-on effect to my other project which I can now barely afford to fund development of. To say I'm annoyed, does not even come close. Once people have had a wad of cash off you, they don't give a flying shit. It's my own fault, in that I let my guard down a little. Never again. You do the work in full, THEN you get paid IN FULL. As it stands, if the game artwork still isn't delivered by 31st December (and I'm 99% sure it won't be), I have to fork out more money and instruct lawyers to sort it out.

I didn't even get near mobile development yet. A real shitty year, all in all.
    Crime Solitaire 2: The Smoking Gun PC | Mac
    Dr Mal: Practice of Horror PC | Mac
    Crime Solitaire PC | Mac | iOS

I... Uhm... I'll have to check what I'd actually planned. Quite a few things have happened since the last time I posted here.

1. Keep working with my current main client. Less negotiations and research more paid work!
      FAILED: There were too many tricky technical issues, and the project was abandoned.

2. Kobo II: Multiplayer! More fun! Proper levels! To speed things up without dumbing down the mechanics, Im going to drop my custom physics engine for Chipmunk. A persistent scene graph rendering engine is going in, to improve performance and eliminate OpenGL from the scripting level.
      FAILED: Well, mostly. The scene graph rendering engine is mostly done, but nothing much more than that on this front.

3. New release of Kobo Deluxe! Its had somewhere around 200k downloads, and is also included with a few Linux distros and other things but few of those players have any idea there is a related game in development!
      FAILED: Well, 2013 ain't over yet, but I don't know if I'll bother with this right now.

4. Finish a small sidescroller I started working on: Project Pixelfire.
      FAILED: No time for that.

5. Port at least one game to OUYA probably Project Pixelfire. (Too heavy scripting in Kobo II, so thats probably going to need a native compiler. Later)
      FAILED: No time for that either.

6. Get back up to speed with music! Almost dropped coding for music about two decades ago but then I burned out, and this is about all Ive done over the last 15 years. Im beginning to realize I need to pick it up again to stay sane.
      SUCCESS: Not that I've released much; some updates and WIPs over here, but I'm kind of getting back into those ways of thinking. I've also been working a bit on my audio engine, Audiality 2, which is now on GitHub, and is rapidly evolving into a seriously usable tool. (For me, at least. If you can't get your heads around it, good! Less competition. )

So, WTF did I actually do then, apart from hacking some weird noise creation thingy!?

Well, the project I was working on consumed way too much time and energy, so that explains a lot of the lack of progress. However, a few months ago, I started working for a major player in Deep Packet Inspection (beware - my code will soon touch your packets!), which paradoxically means I have more time for game development again. I also have a proper income, and get to work with interesting stuff with some seriously skilled people in a nice environment.

As to my game development plans, I'm not entirely sure about the details yet. Things have changed radically... I'll keep working on Kobo II, but now that I don't have to worry much about time or expenses, I'll focus more on getting the structured/procedural stuff (graphics and sound; ZeeSpace and Audiality 2) to work as I originally intended. So, I'm basically going back to developing engines with games as pilot projects again, rather than the other way around. Why...?

First of all, because I want to. I ****ing love engine coding! Especially realtime scripting engines and weirdness like that.

Second, because coding is my primary craft, and I believe I can create something slightly different from the "usual stuff" if I can leverage that properly. What's the point with 30 years of coding experience if you just script for a ready-made engine? You don't use a Katana to slice bread! Or something...

Third, because over the last 18 months or so, I've gotten involved with a talented, creative person who knows how to make things happen - and despite being a lone wolf and one-man team type of guy, I'd really like to work with this person on some project some time. So, maybe I'll be a full time engine and tools coder in an indie team or something like that eventually...? The weirdest things happen sometimes.
    David Olofson - Free/Open Source developer and aspiring indie game developer
    Olofson Arcade
    http://olofson.net

In 2012 I will:
    1) Start making money on my MMO

One goal... epic fail (5 hours per week doesn't get you much)

In 2013 I will:
    1) Start making money on my MMO

Same goal but hopefully a little more realistic with the progress I made last year.
    Failed again... here's to 2014!
    Bruno Campolo, Bantam City Games
    Invadazoid - My Mediocre Blog - Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter2000 View Post
    In 2013 I will....

1. Release multiple quick, simple games on iOS/Android/WP8 and others for a quick ROI.
    2. Earn enough to support myself and family to quit aforementioned hated job.
    3. Redevelop Ferion for responsive web design and mobile, do design work, work on better monetisation then hire someone (cheap) to do the actual work!
    4. By the end of the year, begin work on better, more impressive games such as the AOW reboot.

1. Slightly successful - Managed 1 iOS app and hoping to get another out before Christmas.
    Learned a hell of a lot from that though
    2. FAILED. Totally and utterly. In fact I think I've actually gotten slightly worse off :-(
    3. FAILED. Didn't have time to focus on it :-(
    4. SUCCESS. But not in the way I expected!
    The opportunity came a long to work with a team on a reboot of one of my all time fav games from when I was a lad so I jumped at the chance.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by vbovio View Post
    From 2012:
    1. port my games on at least 2 other platforms. --> SUCCESS!
    2. release at least 2 new games. --> SUCCESS!
    3. double my income. --> FAIL made about the same

2013, a bit more realistic:
    1. make 2 or more new games.
    2. try something new: a new platform and/or other monetization model.
    3. earn more than 2012
    1. SUCCESS! made more than 2.
    2. SUCCESS! tried IAPs and ads.
    3. SUCCESS!

Goals:

1. Release WWII - Europe single player game in the Endless Empires game series.
    2. Improve Dungeon Demon.
    3. Next version of Real Estate Empire on web, desktop and tablet.

Results:

1. Done but not released while I rethink what I'm doing with EE.
    2. I'll say. Ground up rewrite for the web - very, very happy with the results.
    3. No although I will wrap up Real Estate Empire DECK and do a new release by month end. REE 3 in 2014. I mean it!

For 2013 I intended to:

Publish an OUYA game.
    SUCCESS

Hit 30K OUYA downloads.
    FAIL (15K only)

Hit 10M downloads (cumulative over all platforms, all years) for Little Crane That Could.
    SUCCESS (Hit 11.7M)

Maintain 2012 income.
    SUCCESS

Reach 750 followers on Twitter.
    FAIL (Standing at 478)

Publish my first multiplayer game.
    SUCCESS (Although player base of Buggy Bang! Bang! never took off.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12