Thread: N00b Game Developer with Question Relating to Character Models and Switchable Armor

Question N00b Game Developer with Question Relating to Character Models and Switchable Armor

Hello,

I am sure, knowing my knowledge to be inferior and infant in nature, this question may seem ill-informed. Please bear with me as I make the effort to educate myself on game development, hopefully with the help of some of you.

A friend and I have decided to develop a game. Open and persistent-world, online multiplayer, fantasy setting. I have been working on making character models in blender. I have come to a point in which I will have to begin creating armor sets (which will be picked up by the players and have the ability to be "put on"). My question is this:

If I intend on having 5 different heads players can choose from, and 6 different types of armor, will I have to create a separate model for each variation (i.e., 30 different models). Or is there a way around this?

As I said, I am modeling in Blender. Game engine is Unity, scripting language is C#.

Thank you

Check out the 'Character Customization' sample project from the Unity3D demo project section: http://unity3d.com/gallery/demos/demo-projects