Thread: Prototyping Strategy Game

Default Prototyping Strategy Game

I'm having some trouble making a testable prototype for a strategy game.

I tried making a paper prototype with mixed success, the main problem was keeping track of variables on paper made it look way more complicated than it is.

So I've been developing a software prototype in Monkey, and I feel like I'm getting bogged down in minutiae without being able to test the gameplay with real players. (building the Risk-type board and a simple user interface took way longer than expected)

Spending alot of time developing (a couple months) without being able to put it in front of a player bugs me... is this normal for these types of games, or am I missing something?

A couple months isn't that long in game dev. time but...

What's the core of your game? What is the simplest, smallest subset of a game that you could build and play from start to finish? Make that list, assign reasonable time frames to each task and then figure out if it's worth it to you.

BTW, I'm making these kinds of games these days (See Endless Empires on the Rusty Axe website) - I'm in the process of making a single player version of the game in Flash. If you don't want to program your idea but can give me a succinct list then I'd be happy to give you a contract price to execute the thing in C or Flash.