Thread: C++?

Default C++?

I'm starting to study C++ so I can make games and such, is this a good programming language to use? I have a basic knowledge of Python if that means anything.

Anyway, all help appreciated :D

Joshua, you asked pretty much the same question a few days ago on this thread http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?34451-Hello which was answered.

Look at C# first. You can use Microsofts XNA framework http://www.xnadevelopment.com/ which is specifically designed for game development and works on both PC and XBox.

Other than that check out PyGame for Python.

See, I thought I had posted this thread before, but I wasn't able to find it so I though I imagined it XD sorry. Anyway, I'll try the C# thing, thanks :3

I'm going to study C# for a while before I download XNA though :)
    Last edited by JoshuaJ; 11-24-2012 at 08:39 PM.

If you can't find something you posted recently, just go to your profile and look up posts from there.

Why learning C# if you can learn C++? C++ will allow you to code on every platforms and this is what the pro are using (or a mix of many languages actually). Might be C# for tools and editors, C++ for everything critical (3D engine, Physics, IA) and some interpreted languages like LUA (for scripting/IA). But seriously, basic C++ (read C with classes) isn't that hard to understand.

Now, if you don't want to become a programmer, but only do games, then yeah, you probably better learning a high level language like C# and use something like UNITY.

Quote Originally Posted by jcottier View Post
    Why learning C# if you can learn C++?
    You're right about C/C++ is a more powerful language allowing programmers to reach a wider range of platforms, but we are talking about someone learning a new language here, and C# is a far better introduction to the C family of languages. It abstracts away certain C concepts such as pointers that can be very confusing for a learner, and it removes some of the frustrating problems that plague even experienced C/C++ programers such as memory allocation/deallocation.

C# can be a stepping stone to C++ later if Joshua wants to progress his programming skills to a higher level, but I figure he'd prefer to get to game development sooner rather than later, and C# with XNA will help there.

And don't forget Mono can provide C# on other platforms too.