Thread: The Big Windows 8 App Store Thread

Default The Big Windows 8 App Store Thread

Anyone have a game in the W8 app store yet? If so....please share. I have done zero research on any of this, so thank you to those willing to reply.

1) How much does it cost to put your game in the W8 app store?
    2) How much does M$ take?
    3) How long did it take to get approved?
    4) How is app discovery?
    5) Happy with sales?
    6) Any special requirements you needed to do in order to get approved?

Thank you.

Point 2. 30%, the same as the Apple store.

Thanks Stropp. But man...this forum has really hit the skid marks.

> this forum has really hit the skid marks.
    yeah, what a shame.

Also, maybe people haven't moved to Win8 yet. I know that I will, but didn't had the time yet.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by igamedev View Post
    Thanks Stropp. But man...this forum has really hit the skid marks.
    After the recent Spampocalypse a lot of people left including members who have been here for years.

Now that the spammers have been mostly dealt with, hopefully they'll return but it may take a while.

I'm also interested to know about the win8 store, I have done little research, looks like the annual fee is around $50 dlls, the % MS take is 30%, but could be less if you make a huge sum (don't remember how much), I like that the minimum tier starts at $1.49 dlls instead of the classic 0.99 tier..
    Games can be written in WinRT API, C++ using DirectX 11, that's the option I would take, don't how it would be for C#, and I guess there is no support for OpenGL..
    What is more interesting to me, is that Windows phone 8 seems to share the same API, and you can code in C++ too, so it seems they did it finally right this time, hope someone can confirm all this..

Thanks. So if I want to sell older games "as is" with no modifications, can they still be sold in the Windows 8 store? I'm also guessing they wouldn't run on Windows RT, only Windows 8?

for what I have read, I believe "older" games would not be accepted on the store.

how much is filtered this new store? I mean, how many useless apps will be refused and how many good apps will be accepted?
    Electronic, Hard House, Film Music
    88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums
    And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

Anyone started developing (with c++) on winRT? Do we need new tools (msdev version?) and how much hassle is it from moving to c++ win7 dev to WinRT?

thanks

JC

AFAIK, you need VS2012 to compile to WinRT. But I didn't have much time to look into it yet

You can submit desktop apps and sell from your site, but only if you're a company so not an individual. Pretty lame, since that was the main thing I was interested in!