Thread: The Threat

Talking The Threat

Hello everyone, here is the game I'm working on for a few months now

'The Threat' is a First Person Horror game.
    Your goal is to find 3 Gas Cans and escape from this hellish place with your car.
    Your only friend: your flashlight. On your way, you will find some useful items (crowbar, wrench, ...), randomly located on the map.

But be CAREFUL, being too NOISY or too VISIBLE can be fatal! For example, try not to use your flashlight too often. Another example: opening a door with the key is a better option than using a crowbar. Indeed, you may attract unwanted trouble being too noisy!

Update:

First gameplay video!
    Preview of the flashlight, the flares, and the inventory display.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5B3EHo6fKY

Here are some screenshots:

You may ask: 'Is this a Slender game?'.
    No, it is NOT, but it's still inspired by Slender.

The game is not finished, and I don't think a demo will be release before the final version. However, the game development is already well advanced, and I put a lot of work and time on it.

Please take a few seconds to visit the page of the game, where it will be downloadable (once released). You can find some additional info and screenshots too: The Threat - Game

I'm planning to create a DevBlog for the game. However, I'm not sure if you guys are interested. Don't hesitate to give me some feeback, I'll keep you posted!
    Last edited by NostraDamon; 11-11-2012 at 09:16 AM.

That's an intriguing concept. Are you being stalked by something (or many things)? If so, you could reward the canny player if they plan ahead - deliberately causing noise, for instance, to distract their pursuers.
    www.bytten.com - Independent Game Reviews.
    www.indieproofing.co.uk - Independent Proofreading Services.

Quote Originally Posted by Artinum View Post
    That's an intriguing concept. Are you being stalked by something (or many things)? If so, you could reward the canny player if they plan ahead - deliberately causing noise, for instance, to distract their pursuers.
    Thanks for the reply

Yes, you are stalked by something (currently not many).
    Your idea is very interesting, I didn't think of a benefic use of the noise. However, the main purpose is to use your environment to lose your pursuer. For example, running in a field of wheat, or simply hiding in the darkness.

I'd be fascinated to know how the AI works for this. Does it attempt to adapt to the player's patterns? It would be easy, for instance, to simply camp out in the wheat field and not move for the rest of the game. How would the stalker know where to find you? Can you manipulate your environment in other ways, such as laying traps or alarms, or putting up barricades? Why is the stalker following you in particular?

I can see this becoming quite a passive game. Find a good spot to hide, and you can simply wait it out. Indeed, keeping on the move is more dangerous - there's a chance you can be spotted - so it's in the player's interests to go to ground and do nothing. Not very exciting. There needs to be an active danger. I can see two ways this can work:
    * Something that draws the stalker to you. This could be something like a psychic link if you like, but I'd prefer something physical - such as a newborn baby, that randomly cries and attracts attention. Sure, you can drop the baby off somewhere - but this baby is the REAL target for the stalker. You're just the guardian. If the baby dies, it's game over.
    * The player has an active quest to complete before the night is over, such as finding all the components to the means of stopping the stalker. It could be that sunrise is the deadline for this - if you can't stop the evil before then, the world is doomed. The player then has a deadline to solve the mystery, so they can't just hide away for a few hours.

You could liven things up further with key events at set times, such as power failures, NPCs arriving/dying, an earthquake? Up to you!

I'd be fascinated to know how the AI works for this. Does it attempt to adapt to the player's patterns? It would be easy, for instance, to simply camp out in the wheat field and not move for the rest of the game. How would the stalker know where to find you? Can you manipulate your environment in other ways, such as laying traps or alarms, or putting up barricades? Why is the stalker following you in particular?

I can see this becoming quite a passive game. Find a good spot to hide, and you can simply wait it out. Indeed, keeping on the move is more dangerous - there's a chance you can be spotted - so it's in the player's interests to go to ground and do nothing. Not very exciting. There needs to be an active danger. I can see two ways this can work:
    * Something that draws the stalker to you. This could be something like a psychic link if you like, but I'd prefer something physical - such as a newborn baby, that randomly cries and attracts attention. Sure, you can drop the baby off somewhere - but this baby is the REAL target for the stalker. You're just the guardian. If the baby dies, it's game over.
    * The player has an active quest to complete before the night is over, such as finding all the components to the means of stopping the stalker. It could be that sunrise is the deadline for this - if you can't stop the evil before then, the world is doomed. The player then has a deadline to solve the mystery, so they can't just hide away for a few hours.
    Thanks for the reply. You raised some interesting points here.

Actually, your "stalker" is not even aware of your presence in the first time. Here is the speech: "You arrived in some farm, surrounded by a forest. You ran out of gas, maybe you can find some fuel around here? The place seems to be abandoned."

The goal is therefore to find gas cans and leave the place. Concerning the wheat field, camping out in it won't lead you anywhere, as you have to get items in order to progress in the game. I'll take Amnesia as an example: if you hide in a closet, and stay here for hours, no monster will ever find you, but you are not progressing in the game at all.

However, I get the point and the wheat field is maybe slightly overpowered. If you think that the ability to hide forever in a place with no active danger is a real problem, I'll try to work on some ways to feel threatened at all times (the game is named "The Threat" after all ).

You could liven things up further with key events at set times, such as power failures, NPCs arriving/dying, an earthquake? Up to you!
    The idea of random (or preset) events happening is good.
    Currently, the events are triggered by the player himself. Here are some examples:
    - Making noise breaking a plank, a door, a chain
    - Making noise running
    - Activating you flashlight full power
    - Frightening some crows when you enter in a field

In fact, my AI system is based on a VISIBILITY factor. The more visible you are for your pursuer, the more it will be able to guess your exact position, find and attack you. For example, if you run while using your flashlight at full power, your chances of being assaulted are high. The more you trigger events, the more your stalker is aware of your presence.

I'm working on features to get rid of your pursuer. For example, throwing a flare at the distance to attract it, and running in the opposite direction.
    Recently, I'm even thinking about the possibility of making it blind, and build an AI completly noise-based (maybe different AIs, noise-base/light-based/etc, and give the player the choice of its pursuer, to renew the experience?).

Update:

The DevBlog is now online: The Threat - DevBlog
    Please take a look!

Looks pretty creepy, will keep my eye on this

New screenshot:

(Testing the flares )

Synthetic overview of the AI’s mechanics:
    http://thethreatdevblog.files.wordpr...1/ai_logic.jpg

Update:

First gameplay video!
    Preview of the flashlight, the flares, and the inventory display.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5B3EHo6fKY

All of your feeback/ideas are welcome and a great help to improve the game
    Thanks!

Some Updates!

I worked on the graphics, and made some improvements. I added a lot of bushes, rocks, wood logs, crows and more, to give the world some additional “life”. I also reworked some textures, like the trees, or the terrain (now multi-textured). Here are 4 new screenshots:

I also give some further explanations about the gameplay on my DevBlog, please check it out if you are interested: http://thethreatdevblog.wordpress.co...he-visibility/

Don't hesitate to feedback =)
    Thanks!

Hello everyone! I just released a trailer for the game!
    The release of the game itself however, is scheduled for january 2013.
    Please take a look

Thanks!

Looking good!