Thread: Hard times or Good times?

Default Hard times or Good times?

Here's the background...

I'm developing a fighting game on the shiva engine. I want to release it for mobiles and tablets when it's done. I'm the guy who does the design side of things; models/texture/animating and the other guy does the coding and getting it all together in the engine.

And this is what's going down...

The other guy has got some sort of problem and he might not be able to continue. Anyway, I don't want this project to fail just because this other guy burned out, my whole life if tied up in this project! Is there any gamesters I could talk to about this, on steam or something?

Let me guess... his hard drive crashed? One of his umpteen grandmothers died? His house burned down? He has been abducted by aliens?

All of these excuses roughly translate to "I can't be arsed any more". I think you're going to have a hard time finding anybody else to take up the lead, unless you're offering a large bag of money.
    Crime Solitaire 2: The Smoking Gun PC | Mac
    Dr Mal: Practice of Horror PC | Mac
    Crime Solitaire PC | Mac | iOS

Lol... I've heard this "hard drive crashed" a lot over the years

Strangely, I didn't have a single HD crash in over 20 years... I must be a very lucky guy

Quote Originally Posted by SLotman View Post

Strangely, I didn't have a single HD crash in over 20 years... I must be a very lucky guy
    I've burned through a ton of hard-drives--one year I probably went through 4--music is just really demanding on hardware and I push all of my gear to the limit.

But, you have to be responsible--I can usually recover within a couple days and most stuff is backed up.
    - Dan

Composer

Sorry, It's all a load of bullshit. It all turned out to be fine. So, good times.
    No, it hasn't got anything to do with hard drives, it was a development tiff. Why is everyone going on about hard drives?

Quote Originally Posted by mercadier View Post
    Sorry, It's all a load of bullshit. It all turned out to be fine. So, good times.
    No, it hasn't got anything to do with hard drives, it was a development tiff. Why is everyone going on about hard drives?
    Because that's usually the excuse when people quit!
    Crime Solitaire 2: The Smoking Gun PC | Mac
    Dr Mal: Practice of Horror PC | Mac
    Crime Solitaire PC | Mac | iOS

Quote Originally Posted by SLotman View Post

You must be!

I've had a couple myself, the latest being Thursday last week on my 5yo PC.

A few clients over the years have lost Harddrives too.

Any my sister has a lost a couple, mostly due to carelessly being dropped by my nephew... hmmm.

It happens.

But they are fairly reliable so you shouldn't hear this excuse often.

Lost a few myself too and helped a few friends recover theirs... its definitely not rare, but not too common either. I believe this thread has officially devolved into a hard drive crash conversation
    Bruno Campolo, Bantam City Games
    Invadazoid - My Mediocre Blog - Follow me on Twitter

sometimes the hard drives excuse is not an excuse... I had many HD failing.. thanks God I backup on external storages now (I've got 3 external backups) and also a couple of laptops, just to be sure I can recover.

But before doing this procedure, I lost a lot of data, so it's not exactly an excuse, sometimes.
    Electronic, Hard House, Film Music
    88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums
    And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

Back in my day, we had floppy disk failures.
    Mike Kasprzak | sykhronics entertainment | Blog | twitter | Ludum Dare
    Smiles + HD (It's on everything™, IGF finalist, won a car) | ??? (2013) | MORE: Book, PuffBOMB, Towlr
    Hey you what's up yo? Kickin' it oldskool style!

Hi
    I have been developing games for 35 years, and in that time i have burned out a few time, you guy really needs a break, a holiday, give him 2-3 months of not talking about that game, not thinking about the game and see how he feels then, trust me a break will do both of you the world of good.

I mean really not talking about it, do something else, not games related!
    Game development blog luckyredfish.com

Quote Originally Posted by PoV View Post
    Back in my day, we had floppy disk failures.
    What about TAPE??? BZZZZZZHIIIIRRRZOOOOOO.... waitting for 20 minutes to download a 4k program just to find out that the load did fail

JC

Quote Originally Posted by jcottier View Post
    What about TAPE??? BZZZZZZHIIIIRRRZOOOOOO.... waitting for 20 minutes to download a 4k program just to find out that the load did fail

JC
    Don't forget the hell of dropping the card box.

Quote Originally Posted by jcottier View Post

JC
    Please don't remind me of that... ouch, too late.

I remember like yesterday when my MSX got his first disk drive: my first action was to take all my tape games, and save them to floppies - took forever to do it, but once converted, the games loaded really fast... and in (almost) silence!!