Thread: Future of Mobile Presentation

Default Future of Mobile Presentation

Hello. Here's a presentation called "The Future of Mobile" from the folks who publish a site called Business Insider.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-f...ampaign=sai#-1

Who cares about business analysts? They pull the numbers out of their a**.
    And so does this analyst.

He puts the nr of cellphone subscribers at 6.4B
    There are only 6.9B people in the world.
    26% of those are children of 14 or younger.
    And most of those are dirt poor, and would love to be able to buy some food.
    Yet, they are supposed to be cellphone users? Pfff....

Anyone with half a brain can debunk those junk reports.
    They probably made an amateur mistake like nr-of-devices-old == nr-of-subscribers.
    Don't waste your time on it, just concentrate on making fun video games.

The biggest thing he got wrong is on slide 15 where he claims the smartphone market is a two horse race. Even by his own diagram, that would be a one horse race. And the word you're looking for there is Android.

Sadly by slide 20 he's still correct about iOS being where the money is, but I still don't know why that is. Could be something simple like ppl buy Androids mainly to make phonecalls whereas iOS owners want to specifically buy apps. "There's an app for that" was a masterpiece of marketing.
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

[Great BIG War Game: iOS | Android] [Great Little War Game: iOS | Android] [Fruit Blitz: iOS | Android] [Yachty Deluxe: iOS | Android]

a lot of the graphics are skewed in the display and interpretation to comfort the author's opinion
    JovianBlue video games blog

The reason the money is on iOS is because only ~1% of iPhones are jailbroken, and to use the app store you have to give your credit card details. It is a lot easier to buy on iOS than it is to pirate, whilst it is the other way around on Android

Fragmentation is a really minor issue for Android developers. You just need to be able to draw the line somewhere and say "it isn't worth it supporting that device"

Anyway, these guys are just telling us the current state of the market and doing some really basic extrapolation. If they have any real insights, it must be in the speaker talking over the top of the slides, because the slides alone don't convey anything new

I do not know why Android phone manufacturers do not have their own app stores with apps that have been tested on their own devices. Then charge zero commission to sell them for developers. Developers would be happy to have their apps listed there and they could be cheaper plus customers would be more likely to purchase an app from say the Samsung store if they have just purchased an expensive top of the line Samsung. You would think they would try every trick to compete with Apple.

Samsung have their own mobile operating system, called Bada. At the moment, they only seem to be pushing it for low-end phones, and the Samsung app store, as far as I can work out, is just for Bada and not android (correct me if I'm wrong).

Some telco's put their own version of android on the phones they sell, or pre-install some apps and remove others. AT&T in the USA have their own app store

That's the difference between Apple and companies using Android. Apple control the whole chain from start to end

Samsung app store is also for Android.
    Looks to me they have a good plan for supporting Android and their own OS (Plan B ?).
    btw, Bada looks interesting..

OK, I guess I did not look hard enough then. I have developed an app for android and was looking around to put it in stores but only really found the Google Play and the Amazon one which is only for the US anyway.