Thread: Great Little War Game now on Blackberry Playbook (BB10 coming soon)

Default Great Little War Game now on Blackberry Playbook (BB10 coming soon)

We found a device that couldn't run our game, but now fixed.

appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/99630/

They're promised us a big feature so fingers crossed.
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

[Great BIG War Game: iOS | Android] [Great Little War Game: iOS | Android] [Fruit Blitz: iOS | Android] [Yachty Deluxe: iOS | Android]

Is there anything GLWG doesn't run on? Hehe

Droid X according to some complaints, but it works on ours.

The Vita version is also in lot check now. And then its on to publicising the sequel...
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

[Great BIG War Game: iOS | Android] [Great Little War Game: iOS | Android] [Fruit Blitz: iOS | Android] [Yachty Deluxe: iOS | Android]

congrats!
    did you ported the game with native SDK or is the same/similar android port ?

Thanks!

To answer your questions: Yes and yes. There is the usual pita sdk layer to bash around, but 99% of the game is c++ and gl es 2.0, same as other mobile.

RIM have turned themselves right around going this route, I only hope for their sake that it's in time to save them. We only agreed to do this version because their app store is basically empty. Far fewer eyeballs, but also far fewer competitors for them. No idea how much we'll make in the end tbh, but fingers crossed.

Can I ask: How are your sales doing on PB as a ratio to other platforms?
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

Yes and yes
    what you mean ?, it's android native or playbook native ?

sales ratio is somewhat like: (Mac)10 : (iOS)9 : (PB)1 : (Win)0.1

some notes:
    I wonder how Android would go on those ratios.. I'm pending to port there.
    most iOS comes from iPad lately.. I might probably just do universal from now on..
    BB10 is interesting, I look forward for it, and would expect to be able to have "universal" apps for both BB10 and PB.. hope RIM can do well with these new products.
    Windows is a joke, although I realize you need to have PC games on many portals as possible.. can't believe MS has not released an app store yet!..
    also I expect to create other types of games in the future (RPGs, Platformer).. will see..
    any other indie-friendly platforms worth the time where you can port native C++/OpenGL games ?

It is very much a playbook native app, but there's so little O/S being used, aside from the GL ES calls, that it was a very simple port from the Android source to get it working. So simple in fact that I don't know why more people don't do it "properly".

Thanks for the figures, that's actually pretty encouraging given the respective sizes of the markets right now.

Of course you should port to Android. If you have native PB code, then going the other way should be just as trivial. I didn't actually do this bit of work, but I know when the other guy started and finished and it was all over within a fortnight, half of which was spent reading documentation and setting up the project files etc.

We get great sales of GLWG on Android. To use your ratio system, ours looks like this:
    (iOS)9 (Android)10 (others)#ind
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

Wowzers, it's been out a day and a half and currently outselling Angry Birds with a #4 spot in the "paid apps" chart. The other three are in fact big time productivity apps so we're the top game on the store.

Chuffed!
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

Yep...based on my past knowledge of the PB market, being at the #1 spot (Congrats!!) is probably giving you around 200-300 sales per day. If it's anything less than that, then the pb market has shrunk a bit in the last 6 months or so.

Yeah, something around there - a little more. It's hardly turning the money that a #1 spot on the iOS chart would bring in but it's still "proper" money at $4.99 a pop, so we're very glad we took the risk. Doubly so given how straightforward the port ended up being - at this rate we'll have covered our costs by midweek.
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson

I forced myself to play GLWG just now because I needed to get a unique screenshot for my aff page. I'm a regular MOBA (League Of Legends/HON) guy, I usually despise simple casual strategy game (VS boring AI) with little depth but I was instantly hooked after 1 game. (blush)

Game expired and I wanted more. You will get my $$ soon

Congrats for the great success of GLWG.

Nice one, I think.
    Regards,
    Paul Johnson